Thursday, August 24, 2023

Franken Friday

 Finally, it is has been years on the back burners. Back in 2014 I posted my first Franken-Set. It was an all Braves set by the numbers yada yada yada. The typical Franken-Set. (oh I certainly have added to that binder or rather picked up a few more cards to fill in some holes). One day one year I'll re-post that whole binder, but ever since then I have hoarded cards for several other Franken-Sets. I may have even posted the 2nd one along time ago too. Don't remember, what I do remember is the stacks of cards that were placed all over for other sets. I do have 2 binders (supposed to be 3) for jersey #s and a monster box that needs added to those, but unless I find the misplaced binder I'll have to scrap that one. I also have a monster box full of players who played on at least 5 teams for another Franken-Set, but that one is a very long way from being ready maybe years in fact. What is ready this year and right now are the FOUR main ones' that were sitting here in those stacks of cards waiting to be united with me plus the additions I gathered while away from home.  Those four SETS are as follows.

1) Number ONES: this Franken-Set only contains cards that occupy that #1 spot of a set.

2) Easy as 1-2-3: this one is made up with cards numbered 123.

3) Triplets: aka TRIPS: triple digit same numbered cards (111, 222, 333, etc).

that one will start tonight!

4) Last but not Least: consists of the last card of a set, be it base, insert, checklist whatever. 

Franken-Sets 1, 2, and 4 have been consolidated but not reorganized, but that shouldn't be much of an issue, then I can scan and binder them. Set 3 is going to take the longest as it has the most cards. That is why we are starting with that one. I have been paging them up as I have completed sorting them and have been entering them into a database of mine (excel). I have about half of the cards done already and here is the skiddy:

111 have the most cards and they do decrease as we progress through the ranks for obvious reasons, more and more card sets are limited to 150, 200, 250, 300 cards so that reduces the volume. Now by no means do I have anywhere close to all of  any of the numbers. What I do have are 295 (111's), so I will spread the scans over two weeks.

I tallied up some stats regarding them too and will have that at the end of tonight's post.


Here we go:








A lot of the "cards missing" are not really missing (Topps flagship/traded cards that is), but sitting in a few monster boxes for another project that I have been building/hoarding for 10 years.  So other than some of the vintage cards (50's and earlier) no need to be sending me any regular Topps (60's to present). Non Topps is a different story. Then again some of those aren't missing either as they could be in one of my keeper guy boxes which BTW I have actually started the process of sorting them.












It would have saved me a whole lot of time/work/scanning had I just scanned them before I put them into the binder.
































I posted more than half of triple 1's and we still didn't hit the 2000's. UGH! Next week will have fewer cards but more scans as I "cropped" them here and there.


Now for some stats.

The team with the most 111's was the Braves! They had 22 winners. Yea....

2nd and 3rd place are the Athletics with 16, and Mariners with 14 (plus there were two Pilots if that counts).

The players with the most cards were Dan Wilson who had three all 2000 Topps a base, HTA, and Limited Ed. Ron Coomer also had 3 entrys a 2000 SkyBox, 2002 Topps base and an HTA. 

I will wrap the triple 1's next Friday then hit the Deuces the following week. There aren't as many of those but still a good bit and over 200. The 3's 4's 5's 6's will be a normal amount of scanned cards, but those aren't the only ones I have 7's and 8's too. I probably have a 999 is my dupes box (either upper deck or Conlon...who knows may even more like quads). No I ain't going there.


Have a great weekend I am going to a toy show tomorrow.


8 comments:

  1. When this series finishes up I'll see what I might have to add to these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very interesting compilation. Have a great weekend! I'm heading to the local dirt racing track with only two weeks left in the season including tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed the Frankensets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, this is a little like my Card Numbers for Commons series. When I get to card No. 111, I know right where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Looking forward to the toy show recap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to admit I'm looking forward to all the Upper Deck Dodgers when you hit the 666 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always fun to see new ways to collect cards. It'll be interesting to see what percentage of the last cards are checklists.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like this would just be considered more of a "111" collection than it would a frankenset.

    ReplyDelete