Wednesday, August 2, 2023

An UPDATE: Breaking tradition: 1958 Topps

 I'm not sure if you folks remember when I got back home and started organizing my garage. Ordered a dozen new book cases to house my binders then decided to put them inside the house. Yea way back then probably a good 6 months ago I was going nuts because I couldn't find two of vintage binders. 1975 which turned up after I bought a whole bunch of 75's to rebuild. The other was 1958 Topps. Well.... turns out I was looking for the wrong thing this time, and obviously back when I was in Georgia thinking I couldn't find my 1958 binder. Apparently, in GA. I decided to box them and label the box misc. which I stuck on my Topps bookcase and never looked inside. That is until last week. I be damned, there was all of my 58's except for the dozen or so I actually put in a new binder say 5 months ago. Could have been 6, nonetheless. I found my missing 58's. I have now placed those cards in the new binder with the others. Normally, I wouldn't be scanning and posting them until I completed the set build. But I did every page. No blank pages either. Without further delay I will post up a fourth of the binder tonight, and follow up the next three non Monday post days with the rest.










Typically I don't like writing on my cards especially the fronts, but #42 isn't the only one that the card number was written on the front.







Al Kaline is the first big name thus far. Pretty sure I have several big names from this set in the PC binders. I'll have to do something about that.... just won't be right now.






Yep, Duke Snider is card #88. Feel free to upgrade that one to NM for me.







Alright that was the first thirteen pages. 

In case you are wondering who won the almost daily free cards last night..... Crocodile.



15 comments:

  1. That would have been a disaster. And those are very pretty BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the missing cards turned up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you reunited with these vintage beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the solution to the dilemma of whether to put the card in the PC binder or the set binder. Just rip it in half!

    Seriously though, must have been a good feeling to finally have found the missing '58s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping you would find them. Hopefully you can add to it at the next couple shows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were able to locate these. These are from before my time, but I know Lemon of the Senators who later became the Minnesota Twins. I don't think I have any from this set. Congrats Croc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No way you'd label the box "misc". It had to have been there already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was some other stuff in the box too, but the majority was these 58's.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I'm never labelling anything "misc" ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great and fun stuff. Even with writing, makes me feel like I am at my grandma's going through my uncles cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you found the binder. Went back into my classroom yesterday to set up... and I have one box marked "miscellaneous". It'll be the last box unpacked, because it has a bunch of random stuff from all over the place. Doubt I'll find any 1958 singles... but there might be one or two Pokemon cards :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some good ones here.
    Bauer, Nuxhall, Roseboro, Snider, Tanner, Wynn.
    Kaline wins it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Given the deals you always seem to come across, I'm a bit surprised to see that you're not further along with this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the deals I make are for modern cards, not vintage....however yesterday in Jacksonville is a different story.

      Delete