Friday, June 9, 2023

Who am I?

The winner last night was: Tom (Angels in Order).


Regarding the post title: Saturday I went to the Jacksonville card show. I made a few purchases one of which was with Justin. Before I ever got to his table he was taking me out to his vehicle to show me 50,000 cards he bought with me in mind....."JUNK WAX ERA". I told him straight up that I didn't want them, and that he should not have been buying them either. He told me he paid $150.00, I explained this is the stuff you charge people to take off of their hands, get it out of the space it is occupying. To prove my point to the young dealer, I took him around to all my dealer buddies inside. Hey you want to buy 50K junk wax? You all know the answer the gave. But, I knew that a few of them would explain why it isn't a good idea for them/him to be doing. Most had the same story, I spending thousands of dollars every year for storage of those. I've got 2 million, I've got 4 million. Yadda yadda yadda. General point and I believe he got it was you can't make profit on these at least not enough to put value on your time and space, so don't buy them period. You'll always have them until you put them in the dump. Serious I believe he got the point. He had already spent $150.00. When you're scraping by to make ends meet as he gets onto the journey, I felt bad, yet I've been doing this long enough to know empathy has no place with Junk Wax. It is what it is. With that being said, what is it? Why? Are the cards bad?  Well, yeah some of them are, some are really really bad. But the problem isn't that. Junk wax correlates to junk bonds famous around the same time 80's 90's. Over production tons of the stuff devalued the product. It was cheap then and it is still cheap today. Not that there aren't some gems in there because there is. A handful each year in fact. 

Junk wax is also loaded with tons of other goodies that we love, well some of us do. Odd ball heaven is a big one, still junk era. Mini Collection's out the wazoo. You name it you can find in in or on the cards from 80's & 90's. Are they bad?...no. Baseball cards are good! They help to create memories, provide a flashback to those memories, and all kinds of quality time either with self, family, friends, or team mates. That is all good stuff, and money can't buy that.... you know what I mean. 

Let's get back to this first story. I told Justin about three times I didn't want them. He was actually begging, so I told him. I would take a peek at his table, and if there is enough there for me to do a bulk deal and I am happy with that deal. I would take the "Junk" off of his hands if he did all the work (unloading and loading into my vehicle).

I will say that I was able to make a deal, and yes I bought the JUNK for the $150.00 he paid. I'm sure some of you out there are like Are you out of your mind? (I considered that for the title of this post). Now there is a lot more to his story, but that will have to wait for another day. I didn't scan any from the junk, but there is more to tell I promise. I'll give you this much...... I knew right away that I would be "donating" these cards to a fellow blogger, and that I knew there was some stuff that I wanted.


Okay are you ready to read about something else? See some cards? Read another story? How about this? Reader Bill Kearney was vacationing with stops in Jax, Georgia, and NC. Bill got to Jax late on Thursday, and planned to hit up the Jax. card shop then head down to Ormond beach for another shop. I told Bill that there was another shop in Jax too....a big one I mean GIANT HUGE. He wound spending the whole day at the first shop, so I believe he found some things he needed. My buddy Mike (from Frank's shop) said he was using his lists and getting a lot. By the time Bill got to ShowTime it was closed. I met up with him first thing at the show on Saturday. He had some cards for me as I also had some for him. It is always great meeting a trade partner from elsewhere. We talked a little baseball and I was wanting to take him around to see my buddies that give the best deals. Obviously, we started at Fred's. He picked out a couple of cards, and he also got a Baltimore Orioles mug/cup. He let me know he wouldn't be long at show as they were heading out that afternoon. I quickly took him over to see Daryl. Right away Daryl gave me an autograph from Felix Mantilla for Free, so cool and right in front of Bill too. You can see it right after you look at the cards Bill gave me.






Bill had this serial number Eddie Mathews on top on the case the cards were. All in all Bill had 35 cards for me, and I needed all of the ones above although I have serious doubts that I really needed the Justice members club, but my checklist was questionable. Bill it was great to meet you, and I hope you got some good deals, had a great time, and made it safely back home. Thank you for the cards too!



I'll show you one more card, and it is a doozie in more ways than one. Let me explain.

Remember the dealer that kind of sort of burnt me not once but twice in fifteen minutes. I recently posted about it again. I hadn't bought anything from him in the last two shows. I said he would figure it out. He tried again to get me to sit down at his dollar boxes. He said I do have something for you. He pulls out a card from his case, and tells me that he wanted $100.00 for it, but I could have it for $75.00. This was near the end of the day/show so needless to say the cash in the wallet was getting thin. I peeked in it and only $65.00, he waved it on at me and done deal at $65.00. Okay maybe this guy learned his lesson. Wait.....seriously wait. I sat down for a minute 560 seconds he re-arranged how his dollar boxes were, and he says these are my $3.00 boxes, but I am selling the cards at a buck each. Right away I am not interested but he did have them actually sorted by player and labeled. I sat down and checked out Acuna and another Brave or two from one box. I had laid the Chipper down on that box, so I could dig quickly. I will say that the cards were penny sleeve, top loaded, and in a team bag individually. So now I am thinking, no he bough these from someone else, after all he has a day job actually owns an unrelated business. So I am thinking he is getting all salesy on me. Now I am like okay I'm done. I had noticed a brand new dealer behind him on the back row. I got up and went over there. I'll post up those cards next week as there is another story for that one. Anyways I headed out was almost out of the parking lot when I remembered I left that Chipper card laying on the box. I re-park, go back in and tell him, he was like really, says maybe someone got it, or they could of thrown in a box that was like two boxes away from where I left it. This box was sitting right next to his cases where he would pull cards to put in the case when someone bought something out it. He starts flipping through it, and says see here it is....good thing I am honest. Yeah right MF'er you put it there so I wouldn't see it in your case. See This guy he has my cell number, he has called me before. He should have called me the seconds I left it or better yet he knew I was right behind. So needless to say........cold day in hell before I do anymore business with him. Would you like to see the card?




One of one autograph!

Have a great weekend. I have a few stores lined up. As for who am I? I am the guy who is not going to judge a book by it's cover and I will tell you more on that next week.

17 comments:

  1. The seller probably knew better, but still burned bridges with a potential customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your winning from 2 weeks was returned today. I'll get it back to you.

      Delete
  2. A good day for me would be spending a few hours going through junk wax to pull checklists, game and special offer cards (ie Topps Company Store). I'm weird that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Eddie Matthew's card.

    Hope yall have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good person for taking the time to teach Justin and then to save him from 50k junk wax. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big lot of assorted "junk wax" like that is bound to have a few gems. Now, the long complete-set boxes of 1990 Topps and 1991 Upper Deck that I see at every garage sale that advertises cards - those give me nightmares and are an instant pass when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there was more than a few Gems, So much that I wasn't going to attempt to scan them so I will be finishing that story next week.

      Delete
  6. Yikes! Awesome Chippah!! And junk wax can be a little fun too, but at $150, out of my range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That $150 was way out of mine for sure. However, you'll see next week that I got my $ worth, as will two other people to boot. Literally gold in them thar hills.

      Delete
  7. You certainly had a busy time at the show.

    I like the logo on that Mantilla card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do 6 hours of busting my keester, (but usually sitting on it though).

      Delete
  8. Nice Chipper! Can’t wait to hear the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for taking the junk wax off his hands. One of these days I'll have to put want lists together for those years. Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez, glad you got the card back. Congrats on your new haul of junk wax ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. John:
    Great meeting you in Jax last week. I am glad the cards I gave you had so many you needed.
    I will continue to pull Braves and set them aside for you.
    I will send you my want list shortly.
    I will be returning to Jax in the Spring for spring training and definitely be going back to Jax Sports Cards.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite the story. It's always a bummer the first time a neophyte learns about junk wax. I found out in 2018. Makes me chuckle now when I see endless Facebook Marketplace posts with a box of junk for $40 or trying to market unopened Donruss 90 as "vintage!" and such; it doesn't occur to these people that there's a reason the stuff is still unopened, in cases, 35 years after it was released.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I just said it recently about another card, but I could never pay that much for a Leaf card, no matter who was on it.

    ReplyDelete