Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Keepers, at least for now

 The winner last night (it wasn't the Gators for sure): RJ


The following cards also came from the first June dig at the Ormond card shop dollar boxes. Paid 3 for a buck. These are the keeper guys that may or may not make it into my PC one day.


Some 2023 Bowman.



You could say it is a little bit of prospecting. Certainly with Druw Jones above.



Elly isn't off to a bad start either. Adley is still worth grabbing on the cheap too.





A few parallels and shiny cards.






Not so much prospecting here, but guys that go into the future/maybe boxes.






To close out this trip to Ormond (I went back the following week) I was given a box of cards. About 800 cards from the then newly released 2023 Heritage for FREE! Yep, not a dime not a penny, nada nothing. Said take them if I wanted them. Why yes I will.



My first Braves. I actually now need just 3 of the SP's.



















There were roughly 200 different cards numbered 1-400. No SP's or hot rookie prospects (the key cards any way) so plenty of spares. I pulled what I wanted from box (the cards scanned), and since I have been on Hiatus of sorts managed to make 150 trades with my OCT buds. That was 150 trades in 1 week! Sweet and feeling good getting back into my old normal. The Heritage dupes or extras are now down to a minimal 2 dozen or so.  The OCTers ate up those 1992 Topps Gold cards from th eJax junk and the 94' Finest I had mentioned too. These cards like I said were FREE, and had I not taken them Kyle would have put them in his DIME BOXES. Yep dime boxes, this is the kind of stuff in his dime boxes (and there are usually a dozen or more monster boxes of those in his shop). 


These last two weeks have certainly been very productive. I have managed to get all of my Bowman Best's sets out of boxes and into binders and updated those on my web want list as well as the Topps Finest sets.  If you're needing to find easy needs of mine (and you will want to real soon), just click on the menu on the right side go to SET BUILDS then use the drop down for whatever brand Topps, Bowman etc.... I will be unboxing the Topps Museum next. I did do my Triple Threads too now that I think about it. I've been busy. I also cleaned up the mini collection "area". some of it is now in binders and I am currently working on a big project related to those. It is coming around and looking more like I want (in the house not the garage). I think the garage is about all I can do other than get the pool table cleared off again. I am also working on that big project too. I bought some BCW shoe boxes to use for sorting those "years behind" PC guys alphabetically. That should start real soon. I still have a thousand or so cards in stacks to check against my set builds before I can get on to the sorting PC stuff. I have been having fun for sure. 

That is enough for now.   I did grab more cards the following week from Kyle's shop as I still needed to go through 15 more monster boxes 8 of which were not at the shop on this visit and had not even been placed in "card savers" yet. I hate those plastic monstrosities! I told Kyle don't put them into the plastic yet let me go through them it will save you or your help time & money. He said great.


19 comments:

  1. 15 more monster boxes? That's awesome and intimidating at the same time. Just curious. How long does it take you to go through 1 monster box, pull out cards, and scan them? I feel like 15 monster would take me at least 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) The monster boxes are in his shop so no scanning there. 2) half of his dollar boxes are mixed sports and it takes me roughly 15-20 minutes per box to pull cards. If they were not mixed I'd say 20 minutes a box. I'm pretty quick. I just grab not checking to see if needed or if I already grabbed one. I just pull. When I went back (more on that in a couple of weeks) I only went through half of them and it took a little over 2 hours.
      3) Scanning back home, can take up quite a bit of time depending on how I plan to post them. Sometimes it too can be quick like the next post about the return trip. Haven't scanned them yet, but they are ready too and will take maybe 20 minutes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for responding. I'm always curious about scanning times... since it seems like it takes me an eternity to scan cards.

      Delete
  2. Elly de la Cruz...man, awesome. And 800 free cards! Niiiiice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the extended look at Heritage. I've het to see any for sale in the wild and it's nice to see that the photoshopped backgrounds are way less common now.

    Also. Has been interesting to see the Dominguez hype train continue in the hobby. Have seen him play a couple of times this year and I don't think I've seen a player who fans hate more. Opposing fans love to see him fail (which he does often) and Yankees fans think he's a complete ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got my two envelopes today - thank you!

    Hoping I can help those mini collections when you are further along that big project. Was always intrigued by those in your wantlists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should look up more of those top 100 cards only because I think the large numbers would look cool together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a pool table? Why aren't you doing that instead of spending all your time on baseball cards?

    Anyway, Shohei wins this round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I clean it off again and sort those PC boxes (40K cards) on it. I will be playing pool, shooting darts, playing some Texas Hold em, and making a cocktail (or two) on a regular basis in the man cave. I assure you though it won't take anytime away from my baseball cards. I typically spend about 12 hours a day messing with my cards, sometimes 16! I am ready to get it down to 6-8 hrs a day though.

      Delete
  7. Holy smokes, I don't know how you get all that stuff or get it all done. You must've figured out the 48-hour day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like that De La Cruz guy came out of nowhere, but apparently not, since he must’ve had some Bowman cards from at least 2-3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be one of the it guys, at least for now.

      Delete
  9. I still say the Gold Label cards look great! Heritage for FREE? I guess for all you buy you should get some gratuities. I'm working on 2019 Heritage. It's the only set I have tried to build and will probably be my only one. I'm down to 70 from the 725 set and about 70 from the inserts. That's why my wantlist on TCDb is so small. Great post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E-MAIL me your 2019 Heritage needs list. jfmjr1@aol.com

      Delete
  10. Wow...so many cards. I feel lucky with one 800 ct hoxm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about your Gators, but heck, that's a orwtty darn giid season.

    I see a nice Javy Baez A&G in that group, pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Free Heritage? Pays to be a preferred customer!

    ReplyDelete