Tuesday, June 13, 2023

2023 Donruss: I am so disappointed

 I know I am in the minority when it comes to Panini products. I absolutely would prefer the logos, however The Donruss flagship set is one that I have completed going back to 1981. Sorry, I gotta do it. This year was a big let down. Some of you probably already know. But for those who do not......I will YELL it.


THERE ARE ZERO ACTIVE REGULAR ROSTER GUYS IN THE ENTIRE 290 CARD SET or inserts for that matter. That's right the set is made up of retired players and prospects (the Bowman kind). 

I first noticed when the checklist was available (I get my Braves want list put together in quick fashion). Two prospects that I don't know and then yeah some great players, but all retired (MOST IN THE HOF I might add :). No Acuna, no Albies, no Olson, no Riley, no Harris, no Grissom, nada. Talk about HUH? When I grabbed my Braves off of the checklist, I wasn't paying attention to the rest of the list.....just my Braves. I was stoked beforehand and was going to get 2 Hobby boxes direct from Panini. I dropped the ball there Friday before last, but was able to get them the next day at the Jax. show. *Kind of regret it, I could have just bought the complete set for cheap, I think.

I was excited to rip them. Not retail blasters, the Hobby boxes 3 hits per (sort of).



Starting out with the Braves that I pulled. 




Many of you know that I also build the Diamond Kings set, so that means I have to double up on these. This is what I have for the set build, a lot less for the DK set build.


Now rather than scan the set or partial set. I am only posting the dupes of PC guys, and the parallels I pulled. Before we start I want to say that the first box was the better box. Not a single dupe and that is always a good thing. However, there are just too many parallels. I did not get anywhere near a complete set with two boxes and the 2nd box was about 50% duplication of the first box (with the parallels included). That sucked! Had they not been I might have actually got the complete set. Oh well I did have fun ripping and the hits in the first box were okay. (You have to wait). All in all both boxes left me only ABOUT THRITY CARDS that have no purpose to me. Not bad, would have been better if those were $29.99 boxes. I think that is what they should cost. So I my mind I am out $140.00 after paying $100 for each box completely wasted. Won't do that next year. 



As you can see the base cards doubles don't have many of the front 2/3 of the set. Panini loaded the set with variations again, and I am not sure which is which. Some I figured out easily, some I have no clue.... yet.




Notice the Griffeys'. Reverse negative on the photo and they altered the red header slightly for those.


Noe let's peek at the HOLO BLUE.



Oh look there is that Dodger Don Sutton sporting that perm Night Owl mentioned recently.



Now for the HOLO RED. They are serial numbered to 2023.



DK parallels. The Blue look fantastic.



Now for the remaining parallels.




How about those Donruss inserts, the last few years have had a couple of good ones.



The copper bronze color are the normal base version of the insert on most.



Here we go with the Bomb Squad and Marvels that I usually like they get another go this year.



However, Unleashed was a FAIL. I don't like it this year at all.

Now for the 6 hits.



The bottom three were from the first box. Elly relic, Vizquel auto, and the Joe Carter auto numbered to 25!

Now for the winner last night: Jeremy (we'll call that batch of cards he will be coming soon for as his winnings.


19 comments:

  1. Wow.. Channelling the 1990 Donruss! Does it have paint splatter and dot variations too? Just kidding

    ReplyDelete
  2. In general I am one who dislikes recent donruss sets. But there's always something to like, the Bomb Squad and Marvels Rose are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The base design is..not bad, especially compared to recent Donruss sets. And hey, Vince Coleman makes an appearance, That's new. Right? (I haven't bought packs of Donruss baseball in forever)

    I wonder if not including active players was a decision or a rights issue with Fanatics controlling everything now.

    I'll have to peruse the rest of the checklist and see what other retired players are in the set that don't often appear on new cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure Fanatics had something to do with it. The Hobby dealers aren't really happy with them right now after the fiasco regarding Topps Sterling.

      Delete
  4. I'm somewhat surprised Panini bothered with this set after losing their license, but maybe they figured they could dupe some people into buying it. I will pick up the Cardinals that I need for my team collection, but there's no chance I would buy any of it to open even for the trade bait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noticed the same thing when I went to see what Tigers were in the set.

    Not sure if they so a Series 2, maybe then?

    Good Job! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...not gonna bother with this set. The removal of current players kills what minimal interest I had in Donruss to begin with. A couple of the retired selections are cool (Sam Rice, Tony Oliva, etc.) but not enough for me to buy any packs. Hopefully they'll start popping up in the cheap boxes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The MLBPA - player's association went exclusive with Fanatics so Panini had to settle for retired players and minor leaguers not yet reaching the big leagues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK that sounds pretty dumb...and they brought back Donruss 90...hard pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never even knew Donruss would have a set this year until a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kind of like that take on the '90 design. Retired players are OK by me. Wish they had logos but those shiny designs are often fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tony Oliva. One of my all-time Twins favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those Cincinnati all white uniforms! No hint of Red at all!

    All together it looks like they released a Donruss Chronicles-lite set. Thanks for biting the bullet for us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oof. Thanks for taking one for the team. Looks like the autographs might turn into decent values though. But you know there's a problem when the red border parallels look better than anything else in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, Panini lost all its MLB licensing in the Fanatics/Topps agreement. I've mentioned it a few times on my blog and that it will thankfully prevent me from buying that horrible Donruss. Not even the permed Sutton shot will entice me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hadn't seen these yet. Despite the issues with the license, it's nice to see the cards in hand. The Bomb Squad looks fun, like usual.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was actually surprised Donruss even put out a set, knowing they had lost their license with the Player's Association. I wonder if they'll continue going with this "Past & Future" template in future years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The HOF/prospect combo is a little weird... but not surprising. I'm sure I'll add a few of these inserts when I find them in dime boxes... but doubt I'd ever buy a box of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete