Wednesday, June 21, 2023

More from the Ormond junk buy......

 The winner last night was: San Jose Fuji

Now let's pick up where I left off last night. There really was a tremendous amount of 80's & 90's cards, but I didn't scan them. Those were not the reason I bought the lot. I showed you the vintage stuff that I did NOT need (the dupes). Of course I didn't know that I didn't need those until I actually got them home sorted them and then checked to see if they were needs. 



One of the boxes in the lot were a bunch of books and I wanted them for sure.

 








I got two books in this scan. Sort of, those are post cards. I have decided to leave them in the book.




This book is still wrapped in plastic. I mention this because I went through all of the other books because you never know what may be hiding inside. In the past I have found money.... paper money and even cards.  Nothing this go around though.




This book looks like a lot of fun. If enough people comment about wanting to see some or all of the cartoons inside I may just post them. Below is the back cover to give you an idea of the cartoons inside.



The next 4 books are from Dover publications. Reminds me a few years back Dime Box Nick while working at a book store grabbed some of these broken the cards out and shared them with some us. Thank you again Nick.









It is so tempting to free those reprints, but I have decided to leave them be (even though 3 of the 4 books have Braves cards in them.


Now moving on to more vintage from the collection. This time needs that have been met.









A slew of 58's for my set build.





Maybe no Mickey Mantle or Hank Aaron cards but pretty sure I got my $225.00 worth in just tonight's scans and if you have to add in all of those rookies from yesterday. All of the cards here are keepers even if I had them in the set builds. The stars if that was the case went into those PC boxes that need sorted and checked against my PC lists to see if I need them there.

Now I did make my normal purchase from Kyle's dollar boxes and will post them for tomorrow and on Friday, there were a lot of goodies.



16 comments:

  1. I had Hall of Fame Baseball Cards when I was a kid. Really my first introduction to the history of baseball cards.

    Here's a vote for seeing the cartoons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books, and great keepers. Never seen a lot that was mostly junk wax AND included that kind of vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember buying a couple of those Dover reprint books in a Disneyland gift shop of all places 25 years ago - I probably still have the books squirreled away somewhere and never broke them down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the original cards, the reusing old designs is getting way overdone (admittedly I do like some of them)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A first edition of The Science of Hitting has been on my wantlist for a very long time. I do have a first edition Baseball Encyclopedia though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished that mine was a 1st edition it was published in 2013 though.

      Delete
  6. Hondo rookie, McCarver rookie, Concepcion rookie, and 2nd year Schmidt. Nice job!
    Thanks again for the cards. It was nice hanging out today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. Thanks again for the cards you brought me. Hopefully you and Kyler have already dug into to some of those cards.

      Delete
  7. Nice vintage. I would vote to also see some of the cartoons. Cincinnati Redlegs? How many baseball fans would say they have never heard of them before?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all for the New Yorker cartoons. After Masonic Monday wraps up it's time for Saturday Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy wow. Definitely want to see the inside of the New Yorker book (I really wish they'd release a set of cards of their baseball covers). Nice score with the Elston Howard RC too.

    I'm also wondering about how Dover was able to reprint those Topps cards. Were those out of copyright for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely came out ahead. Some great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely got a deal with all of these vintage... plus those 80's and 90's rookie cards. But the books are the cherry on top. I'm super curious about that postcard book. Love me some sports related postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Schmidt, Rose, Boog, and Doby stand out to me.
    Maybe post the best cartoons from the book?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now the question is, are you gonna read all of those books?

    ReplyDelete