Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Way back when.

 No, not a post referring to yesteryear. No, this one is just a start of some of the items I picked up in January when I ventured over to my buddy Fred's house in Jacksonville.



A friend of Fred's who also sells cards once in a while decided that he was done with baseball and football cards. Said he doesn't know much about the sports and just couldn't sell them often at shows he participated in. I don't know the guy. He gave as in 100% free no charge nada nothing to Fred. 60,000 cards. All in brand new boxes, penny sleeves and top loaders. He even priced all of the cards up using Beckett. I would love to have let the guy know that Beckett especially their high values are so far over the actual value of the cards and putting that price sticker on the top loader would scare any collector away from buying. Even the low value on Beckett is a stretch, that is why when I post something with Beckett values listed I say that is where the prices came from. The only thing worse looking at cards with prices that high on them, is looking at a card with no price on it and when you ask how much they break out their phone to see what it is either listing at or sold recently for. I hate that. Usually walk away as soon as they grab their phone.

I digress. I couldn't tell the guy so I told Fred instead, lol. Collector's would prefer to see the price the seller is selling it for without assumptions, or "what's is worth". Back in the day when I really cared about what a card was worth I looked it up to see if I got a good deal, and I would put a sticker on the penny sleeve (yes I did used to use them) with what I paid for the for the card. I figured this was my way of knowing what to let a card go for should I get rid of it.


Anyways, Fred invited me over to peruse the cards (he also invited other friends too). I just happed to be the first one to actually go. I went on a Thursday and spent the entire day their, had lunch and dinner with Fred and his wife. You all know how Fred takes care of me. I went through the hoard of baseball cards. I thought I pulled close to 2,000 cards out. I was trying to NOT grab all of the best cards knowing that others would be coming in the days to follow. Because Fred let me use 2 of the brand new boxes the cards came in (4 row- my favorite), I temporarily forgot the rows barely hold 200 top loaded cards. I did eventually remember and I came home with 1,463 cards/items. Fred took real good care of me. I asked him how much and he said what did I want to give him? He would have taken whatever I said, but I told him if these cards were at Kyle's they would be in his dollar or $5.00, and $10.00 boxes (of course that is going by the prices the guy had put on the cards) some were as high as $50.00. I grabbed a lot of the $20-25.00 cards. Yes, I did look them up and sure enough he was using the Beckett high value, then I checked the pricing of what you could actually BUY it for immediately on ComC and Sport Lots. If I was buying these at Kyle's shop I would pay 3 for a buck, and Fred said that will work. 



I plan on showing off several hundred of those cards, just not all of them.

I wanted to start with some of the odd ball stuff. 




I have a few of these tin metal card sets in my PC's. I don't believe I have any of these specific ones. The boxes are from Avon (made in China). The three sets on th eright are from the same year and the one on the left is from the previous year.



I also scooped up two of the envelopes above. One is staying as is for PC and the other I already cut the cards and put them into the "to be sorted" PC boxes. Now let's look at those metal cards.



I know that one of the metal tin sets that I already have is Nolan Ryan, but for some reason I don't think it is this one. We'll see if I ever get around to updating those.



I also know that one of the sets that I already have is Cal Ripken, but definitely not this one with Gehrig. The other ones I had already are Babe Ruth, Joe and DiMaggio I believe.






Okay, that is the start of what I brought back from Fred's house way back when (in January 2024). A heads up, the next day I went over to the Jax card shop itself to take advantage of a Flash Sale. Once I finish with the stuff from Fred, I'll hit that day.


3 comments:

  1. Never seen those Ryans before, those are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to work with a woman who sold Avon on the side, so it wasn't uncommon for copies of the most recent catalogs to be brought home. I remember quite vividly seeing all of the various metal card sets that were being produced in the 90's. And I know that my mom did at least one order at some point because I ended up getting the Willie Mays tin. I thought for sure it'd be worth a fortune someday, but clearly I was wrong. In retrospect, it's probably a good thing that I never spent much money trying to "invest".

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. I had a dealer pull out his phone at the last card show I went to. Like you said... it was an immediate turn off. I stuck around to see his price, because it was a card (James Lofton auto) I really wanted, but didn't buy it.

    B. Man. I wish I had opportunities to make purchases like this. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete