Thursday, July 6, 2023

The RETURN to to the Ormond card shop

 I nearly forgot about posting these. My intentions were to go back to Kyle's shop hit up the 8 boxes that no one had been through yet because they were not sleeved. Well.... while Kyle was in Las Vegas Bill his business partner put them into the card saver sleeves (I hate those) and put them out. And then go through the other 7 boxes that are sorted by teams that I hadn't been through yet.

I went through the 8 boxes, but didn't go through the team boxes. I'll do that next time I go.


Pulled some goodies, but not a ton. Just 456 cards! No I did not scan them all, not even half. Some were for set builds not worthy of scanning right now (some were though).



I think it is time for me to stop grabbing Wander rookie cards though.





















Yes, I know I grabbed another one of those Druw's. Makes 9 now.






That no name plate Votto jumped out at me. I had to get it. The other two GQ are chrome.







I do believe that is my first RIP card.



Someone had already ripped it though. That is horrible. I believe that I would have to leave it un-ripped myself.













Alrighty then. That is a wrap. Apparently there are more boxes of cards that as of today are in Kyle's shop for the first time. Fred had went there last Wednesday to pick up cards for the show, and Bill the partner pulled 3 boxes out of his truck and put them straight into Fred's card never making it inside the store. I'll have more on those when I cover the Jax show. 

BTW: The winner last night was: TDK


21 comments:

  1. Just noticed that Donruss Nolan Ryan is reverse negative. Did Donruss intend that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to mention the "variations" Donruss used this year. Yes, it was intentional on the higher numbers, the red top border is also a lighter brighter red too.

      Delete
    2. I loved the reverse negative Ryan until I noticed that for some reason Donruss made it an Astros card despite being an homage to the Juan Gonzalez.

      Delete
    3. Nick, Donruss did 10 of the Retro cards with reverse negatives. The Ryan base Retro card is an Angels card.

      Delete
  2. These guys sure have plenty of cards coming in. Do they get a lot of takers? Have to wonder just how long the market for these is going to last. At some point some people are going to be sitting on a ton of cards they paid top dollar for and can't move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the few trips that I've been there this year it seems consistent with the last several years of seeing his cards at Fred's tables. The inventory is constantly changing so he must have a bunch of takers digging in the dollar boxes and dime boxes.(I know a few dealers that dig in them too). Always a ton of recent stuff. I believe his regular customers that are ripping wax for the hits and not building sets give him the cards they don't want and the set builders give him their dupes.

      Delete
  3. The no name plate Votto is interesting. How does a card like that get past QA nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was intentional. Topps did a parallel of the entire set without name plates, and another one with logo swaps, and another with team names plates missing.

      Delete
  4. It's probably not that much different from other years except with no active MLB player content, but seeing some of the 2023 Donruss shine gets me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no Druws, but I have found one of those Jackson Hollidays. Cool Babe Ruth card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That A&G Spencer Torkelson card is sweet looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's going on with all those baseballs on the O'Neil Cruz card?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice cards! I still think the Gold Label cards look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can never have too many Wander rookies.
    I think you should go for the 2023 Topps rainbow foil set. Seems like you have found a bunch of them in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice stuff! All this time and that was your first RIP card?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think some of the 2023 foil parallels look fairly nice. I like that Sights on September Volpe...even though his debut happened in March!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool to see Sparky on newer products. I'm sure he's been on a bunch... I'm just not in the loop these days when it comes to new stuff.

    P.S. Nice RIP card. If I pulled one... I don't think I would have the guts to rip it either. I'd sell it to someone who could though (unless it was a player I collected).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why do you have to stop buying Wander rookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure I have most of them, and seems like I have a dozen of each by now.

      Delete