Wednesday, July 5, 2023

INCOMING

 The winner last night was: Hackenbush (I need your address please).


Okay now that the fireworks have stopped (at least until it get's dark again) let's do some splaining. For those in the know know that is how Ricky Ricardo said explaining. "Lucy.... you got some splaining to do". Alright, yesterday was my annual July 4th blast and with the "time off" I have been taking was able to co-mingle the boxes of "Holidates" from GA and here at home. I even got those July 4th cards into a binder and that feels great. I have bindered a lot lately with the Topps Tribute, Finest, Triple Threads, and Bowman's Best too. I also hit up some more of my mini collections like the baseball autographs/relics, got them into not one, not two, not three, but four binders. I'll be posting something on those (about) in the future. 

My brother and I went over to our sister Kathy's house yesterday for a some BBQ ribs and brats. Of course the sides were there too and ice cold SWEET watermelon. That is the first time the three of us have been together for this holiday since I was a toddler. Good times, our mother would have been happy. The three of us had the same mom. I have other siblings too with different mother's and/or dad's. Just for fun, I will run there names by you.

Joyce, Jan, Jane, Janice, JoAnne, Jack, Kathy, me (John) and there were two that died as infants (SIDS in the 50's) long before me the youngest came along and two others that I never knew or met. Kathy kind of stands out, lol.  I came home in December, Jack retired and moved back to Ocala in February, and she retired in March. Looks like the 3 of us will be spending some QT nowadays. I like that and our mom would be proud. That was my celebration yesterday on our Independence Day. 

Back to baseball card stuff. I have also put into binders my Topps Holiday sets with variations, the Holiday relics (they have their own binder), non sport auto/relics. My recently completed 2023 Donruss and my 2021, 2022, and 2023 Bowman sets are resting peacefully in binders. Slowly but surely, I will eventually have "my house in order". 

Recently I have gotten some cards in the mail, and some brought to me in person.



These messed me up initially. I quickly check off two of them on my Panini Stickers want list, but when I was updating TCDB Braves Collection I realized that these were the French/Canadian versions. Well I had already took the other Braves and put them into Braves dupes boxes so I had to go get them because I needed all of them now. The stickers came from Angus north of the border. I should have got that immediately but didn't. Glad I did catch it. Angus threw in three for my birthday binder (9/16) with the Raines and Hershiser stickers.  Angus plopped some more cards in his package too.



Angus back in December maybe January told me he had the 1 missing card I was short for that Rock Cards set. He sent it Iggy Pop, along with all of these other great needs. The cards above were from Baseball Card Magazine (I think) one of those anyways. They all had plenty of extra border on them when I got them, but I broke out the trimmer and made them purdy. The bottom looking short is over cropping of the scan, the cards are perfect. Thank you Angus for hitting some Braves that I probably would have never came across.


The cards below were brought to me in person by Jeremy while on his vacation.











Thank you Jeremy for hitting up my collection.

I got 4 PWE's in from OCTer but I'm not scanning those cards as they were all set build needs that one day will get posted as a complete set. Those 150 trades I made recently with the OCTer's are starting to pay off. 



17 comments:

  1. Ah, nothing better than 90's magazine cards. Eight kids in my family all with standard 50s and 60's names: Bill, Patti, Rick, Mike, Jeff, Ken, Tom (me), and Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Hot Sauce parallel of Vlad looks like something else - those look like fun inserts.

    Nice that you were able to spend time with your brother and sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those magazine cards are nice, especially the football design, appropriate for Deion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the oldest of 7, but since I moved to another state, I only get to see them once a year. Glad you had a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything done in the 1968 Topps design is cool with me.

    Hope yall are doing well today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a memorable 4th. That Vladdy Hot Sauce card is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice family moment and nice cards. Glad you had a good 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hot sauce card is fun. Guess you couldn't just write your initials on things as a kid. Although makes it easy to hand those things off to the next sibling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because there is a significant age difference between me and my siblings, I spent half of my childhood as the only kid in the house. My sister Jan is 3 years older than I, but she lived with her mom, and I lived with mine. Next closest sibling was 8 years older than me, and the rest were at least 14 years older.

      Delete
  9. Glad you had a good 4th. I really like the helmet cards. I'm might have to look into getting one someday. The Hot Sauce card is cool as well. If it wasn't for the flames, I would think it was a Christmas card of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember getting packs of that Panini sticker set as a kid for Christmas one year, but I stuck them to one of my baseball card binders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Bryce harper and Aaron Judge form the retro set and the Deion magazine cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you enjoyed the cards and stickers, and sorry for taking so long to get Iggy to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother, sister, and I all start with J. My wife is also a J and when we had kids she said she didn't want a J name, but when the first one arrived she overrode our non-J choices and chose a J name. We had to find another J name for the second kid, otherwise it would have been awkward

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a big family as well. One of seven kids. We were all together a few weeks ago for my niece's graduation party. Glad you could spend the 4th with two of your siblings!

    I've always liked those foil Panini stickers. And that Witt blue sparkle Heritage looks cool. I guess I was attracted to the shiny in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome that you got to spend the 4th with your brother, sister, and good eats. Even better that the three of you will be spending more QT together in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopefully you and your siblings will be able to start making up for lost time. I have two half brothers, nether of whom I've seen or spoken to in the last twenty years. I kind of miss my younger brother, but as fractured as things are between us, I can't envision any scenario where we'd ever have any contact again.

    ReplyDelete