Tuesday, July 11, 2023

The Jax July card show: ONLY the FREE stuff!

 Our winner last night was: RJ.


Now let's see what we have next from the card show on July 1st. I last posted cards from Daryl my first stop (out of my ordinary routine). I made mention of the free cards he gave to me. I think that is a good place to go tonight. short and sweet.



After Fred busted me at Daryl's table I headed straight to his tables. He handed me this stack of Hank Aaron cards and said he had been meaning to give them to me for years. I told him that I probably had them all already. He insisted I take them. I did and low and behold I did need three of them. 




Next up are cards that were on Fred's table but were not his. Every month or two one of his buddies, dumps some usually junk wax and odd ball stuff  on his table. I have picked through them over the past few years I wound up typically paying a penny a piece. This go around there were two shoeboxes of 80's football. Not for me, but there was a 200 count box that had some baseball. I picked through that and grabbed a handful of cards out of there. I was keeping them in my shirt pocket so that I didn't mix them with any of Fred's cards that I had already put into a small stack. I also didn't want to mix them with Kyle's cards that I had just went through the first box that had not been in his shop yet. There were two more of those boxes too, and three that I had been through at his shop.



While I was sifting through that first box from Kyle a guy came by and was all giddy over the football and wanted them all. Fred went and found his buddy (he was being a customer and shopping), he sold the two boxes plus the small baseball box for like $40.00. The guy was so happy. When he left I told Fred that I had pulled cards out of that small box and was waiting to "cash out" once I was done going through everything. He said they're yours now, they've already been paid for. 

Yeah.... that is a Don Mattingly rookie card. It is creased though and not a nice specimen. But at this point it was FREE! Who cares, right? As for cards I got from Fred.... they were mainly Braves and will be in a post dedicated to the Braves that I picked up.


The next three cards were freebies from Justin.



I didn't buy anything from him, and he knew that I wasn't exactly happy that I was still sitting on some inventory he wanted (2 weeks prior). I still am as a matter of fact. I had picked up 14 monster boxes of cards for his inventory (he hasn't paid for them). 9- 3 row, 2- 4 row, and 3- 5 row boxes). 5 boxes are baseball, 5 are football, 1 (5k) basketball, 1 UFC, 1 WWE, 1 misc (soccer, racing, and more basketball and UFC). All are recent issues 2020-2023. All good stuff.... new and shiny, the $150-250.00 kind of boxes. I had told him that I would find him the right inventory for his dime boxes that he wanted to focus his "business on". This deal would answer his inventory issues so that he quits overpaying for crap, and then not willing to "eat" the bad deals he has made. He'd have enough to last the rest of the year, and without me profiting from it. I kept my receipt for what I had spent ($600.00). He would be getting these boxes for $50.00 a pop, that is a smidge over a penny a card less than a penny and a half. Seriously these are amazing boxes, lots of $5.00 cards in them. Easily 1000 of those. Anyways, I don't know what I will be doing with them if he doesn't get them in the next week or so. They have been sitting on my couch for nearly a month. I know that I don't need any of the baseball. There is a 5K box full of 2023 Topps series 1 in there with inserts. I don't collect the other sports. Either I will have to lug them to a card show, which I don't want to do or sell them here on the blog for $100.00 a pop to cover the shipping (I'd have to repack them into the large flat rate boxes safely to do that). I may see if Fred wants to buy them or maybe Frank the promoter in Jax. 


Whew, I ranted long enough. I'll figure it out. But hey if you've got a hundred bucks (or more) to spare let me know, lol. 





15 comments:

  1. Those Aaron cards are nice, I like when I get packs of cards with the older guys I grew up watching.

    Good Job! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine you could move those boxes locally for a good price on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

    That's a heck of a free lot. Mattingly RC - wow! There are probably some bloggers who still need that card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Needs or not, nice Aaron cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fascinating to read about the back channel dealings you do as a longtime collector with all these card show vendors - I can never imagine having such a relationship, though it can be hard sometimes when you are left sitting with the 14 monster boxes your buddy has not claimed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know True Value put out cards, but I'm not surprised. Everyone was in the eighties. Standard logo-less Nolan Ryan head shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Hank Aaron reprints sure look nicer than the Willie Mays reprints…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, that True Value Ryan is Su-WEEEEEET!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any Mattingly rc is a keeper, no matter the condition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have the original 1970 Topps Aaron card. Got it while ripping a pack in 1970 as an 8-year-old. If only I still had those. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. McGriff Rated Rookie, Mattiingly RC, Huff bat piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice free stuff. Can’t beat a free Mattingly and McGriff rookie, plus the Aaron’s and the bat card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bet there is some cool stuff in those football boxes. Makes me wish I had funds.

    Great cards in this post as well! Like the hologram
    -Matt-CarrsOverCoffee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice stuff. Is it remotely possible new guy forgot about the boxes? I mean if I owed a guy 600 bucks I'd be avoiding him, and not be in an area he'd be known to frequent

    ReplyDelete
  14. That guy is crazy. I'd happily hand over $600 for those boxes... just for the entertainment value.

    P.S. Love the Mattingly... and those Aaron reprints. Even cooler that they were free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know for a fact they are wholesale to "dealers pricing" between $150-200.00 each box. I could lug them to shows and dump them at $100 per, but I really don't want to be loading and handling those boxes especially being there is nothing in it for me. He's an idiot just like I was thinking and that is a shame. I really tried to help him give him the benefit of my doubts. Not to mention then he would see my garage I mean mini warehouse (lol) full of inventory. Time to cut my losses. I'll figure out something to do with this. All I really care about is getting my money back. What dealer wouldn't pay $50.00 a box especially now that they are sorted by sport?

      Delete