Thursday, July 27, 2023

Okay okay....I'll get to the story

 Our winner last night was: Bo

I also have an update that I will get to after the Ormond cards are finished.

Now a couple of weeks ago I headed over to Ormond. I was supposed to meet up with Fred there but he had texted me while I was about half way there wanting to do the next day instead. I went on to the card shop. I dug through the newest dime boxes, then headed over to the monster boxes that I had marked to go through. I spent pretty much 4 hours digging through boxes. It was getting close to 6pm when the shop closes during the week. I gathered my cards that I pulled and started heading over to "check out". I no more than stood up with cards in hand (they were in a 3 row box). When Kyle and a dealer from somewhere else agreed to bust open (splitting) the freshly released Topps Tribute. They retail for $500.00 a box. They would be splitting the packs and had a contest on each pack agreed upon by both and whoever got the win got all of the cards from that pack. Every pack would be a different win such as who had the lowest serial number stuff like that or the oldest player or the shortest last name. Each box had 6 packs and each pack had just three cards. Yeah $500.00 18 cards. Yowsers! I immediately sat down and Kyle's team boxes when I heard them say they were busting one. I knew I had 6 or 7 of those boxes that I hadn't been through yet, so I did that while they were playing the game. I watched and listened while pulling cards. I wound up pulling another 94 cards from those boxes but more on that in another post. They ripped that box had their fun and I got to watch for free. It was fun. Then they decided to bust another box. Wowzers. In the end Kyle got a bit more than half of the cards. I know this because I got all of the base cards. I also got the base cards from a box of Finest that had also just been released. Those range around $250.00 a box of 60 cards. I wound up with 34 base cards from Finest 3 parallels, and 7 inserts and 18 from Tribute. Only 1 double which was a PC guy so it's a keeper too.












That is the Finest portion.  BTW one of those finest was an SP which takes 4 boxes to get just 1! The last insert is below. I got 44 of the 60 cards, the guy who actually busted it got two autos of the same guy last name was Mitchell. Kyle got the rest of the cards, kept fourteen fancy inserts and serial numbered cards. 



Now on to the Tribute.






That was certainly a fun day to end like it did at the shop. It was actually 6:30 when all was said and done. I was so distracted by the high end box breaks that I lost my train of thought. Mainly because I wanted all of those base cards. I was sitting there thinking it the entire time. I hit Kyle up right away on obtaining them. I did however miss the fact that the other dealer left with his winnings. I didn't think to hit him up for his cards.  There is also a little bit more to the story but not so much relating to the actual high ends cards and you will have to wait to hear that story.


12 comments:

  1. Thank you!

    I like the design of those Finest cards. The dot and triangle work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the base cards went to someone who collects rather than in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really a card shark - it's easy to get swallowed up in all the random cards you might pick up, but you want more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! And I like the look of those Finest cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pick-ups. The price of those boxes amazes me. You got a Buxton in both and a few others that were Twins and some that are Twins now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always liked Finest (nice Mookie!). Much more than Tribute or any of those high-end sets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dropping 1K on 36 cards would be impossible for me. I would also not be letting those go and have instant regret haha. Nice Finest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too brother. I'd have a hard time dropping a grand for 3.6 million cards, lol.

      Delete
  8. When I worked at my local card shops... there were always a handful of big spenders that pretty much held the shops afloat financially. It was always fun on pay day, because they'd come in and do these big dollar box breaks (although at the time it meant a $100 to $150 box). And if I was lucky... they'd leave the base on the counter and walk away with the inserts/hits. Maybe once or twice a year, there'd be an epic pack war like the one you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly my first time witnessing anything like that. It was fun to say the least, and I got the most of the base cards.

      Delete
  9. I like the design on the headliners cards
    Matt-SCC

    ReplyDelete