Sunday, May 28, 2023

Remembering: Memorial Day and WHO it is for.

 This is NOT a contest post. 


Memorial Day is a day set aside to remember those lost at war or while serving. It is unlike Veteran's Day, this day (tomorrow) is just for those who have fallen. Bless the families left behind. I thank those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we folks back home could play, trade, or do whatever with our baseball cards or anything else for that matter. I honor you. 

I am posting this today so that it may serve as a reminder don't thank Veteran's tomorrow (thank them any other day), this is not their day, it is only for those lost and their families. I say this because as a veteran it really bothers me when someone thanks me for my service on memorial day. It shouldn't but it does. God bless them all.


Some baseball cards to honor them too.




10 comments:

  1. I too am a veteran, and agree the day is not for me but for those who gave their life in service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I realized you were a veteran (or Tom was either). Thanks for the reminder; I'll thank you for your service another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People tend to forget, or they were just never taught this, so reminders about it are never a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather wasn’t lost in the World War 2, but he came home and was lost. Sadly took his life before I was able to meet him. So I always look at his picture and remember him

    Thanks again for the reminder post
    Cards Over Coffee-Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same can be said for many soldiers, especially those from the Viet Nam war (add in the hatred towards them) and Afghanistan too. Unfortunately, war is devastating physically and mentally, but still necessary.....occasionally.

      Delete
  5. Although I've been taught the difference between Veteran's Day and Memorial Day, I'm sure I've made the mistake of thanking a veteran on Memorial Day. Thank you for sharing a veteran's point of view. I will keep this in mind moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be the first to admit that I have made such comments on Memorial Day, but it's more out of habit of thanking vets (which I'll do any day) and the fact that there is a greater tendency to meet a vet on these service holidays. No offense intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None taken, it's just that it bothers me mainly because some people don't know the difference. Most veteran's have lost a brother, buddy, or friend they served with, so it only feels right when those lost souls are remembered. Can't thank them, but we can remember and honor them.

      Delete
  7. Hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial Day and remember why we have this holiday.

    ReplyDelete