Wednesday, May 17, 2023

ORMOND BEACH: a SHOP or a SHOW?

 The winner last night was: Derek

Before we get started, just want to say that I got back Saturday from the Clearwater card show and met my daughter and grandson for dinner, all was great but Hunter was sick. Now I am sick. Pretty sure I will be not be heading out this weekend.


Okay as promised or at the very least I said last night that I would post up the cards I picked up from a dealer an hour and 1/2 away from me. Easy drive never traffic (unless it is spring break or bike week). 

My background first. I know that most folks go to card show spend maybe a couple of hours. Not me, I stay for duration. If I can't spend the normal 6 hours there then it was too small or just flat out sucked. My opinion of course, but hey to me that's what counts. 

Kyle, whom I've mentioned in the past (and will be in the Jax April show posts too) has a card shop K&T collectibles. He sells on Ebay too of course. My buddy Fred often has  5-8 monster boxes of his stuff on his tables and for the last several years that is where I got his cards.

Fred and I planned (he goes every week) to meet up at the shop. We did. It was one of Fred's daughters birthday and both girls (grown of course) were there too. I know them obviously as they worked every Jax card show that I have attended in the last 10 years. Teenagers to start now in the mid twenties. (they don't work at the show anymore as of last month). No need for those details. One the bday girl also works one day a week duh when Fred goes at Kyle's shop doing computer stuff. Today was special, they ordered pizza, so I ate for free, lol.


Okay now let's get to some cards or at least the story to the cards. Right off the bat when I walked in, Fred was sitting in the front left corner (Kyle has apx. a dozen office style chairs set up in front of his tables in the shop). That corner is where Kyle has his dime boxes. That day there were about a dozen. I rummaged through every single card (then I moved over to the opposite side of the store right front corner) that is where the dollar boxes are. There was about a dozen of those too, and yes I went through every single box that was labeled baseball. So maybe half of them. In between the two corners say the middle of the store front to back are shoe boxes sorted by teams those too are a buck each. I also went through the Braves box. Duh!


Bottom line. I picked about a thousand dime cards (Kyle counted them as 259, but I didn't know that at the time). I am just guessing here that he pulled that number out of his um head. Knowing he was only going to charge me $25.00. I'm good with that that barely two pennies a piece. Now the run through of the dollar boxes I pulled 40 cards mainly Braves of course. If you are doing the REAL math. I should be at $140.00 right there. There were other boxes of goodies toward the back of the shop. I found a $5.00 shoe box of relics & autos, and I pulled 8 from there another real price of $40.00 totaling $180.00. At this point I figured I had better get an actual price as to where I was at. He counted out loud (that where I heard him say the 259 on the dime cards). He then proceeded to tell me $80.00.

Yeah buddy that worked for me, so I thought I finish up hitting the rest of the shop. Found another shoe box of autos/relics and pulled another 8 cards ($40.00) out of it, then went through the JSA certified 8x10s, grabbed 4 of those individually priced at $25 x3, and $45 for the las tone. I then hit up his glass cases. Well the baseball one anyways. I pulled three cards from there with sticker prices of $125.00, $90.00, and $75.00. That would be another $290.00 plus $120.00 plus that $40.00.  He went through them said $300.00 bucks I said done. I paid left it was 6pm needed to eat supper and drive home. 


Oh, I guess y'all want to actually see the cards. Starting with a whole bunch of those dimes cards. 




I don't collect Billy Hamilton or Giants, but a parallel numbered to 25, yep.



2023 stuff too.












Well actually 2.5 cent each including the higher end sets.










How can you not love that corn card?








I definitely padded the PC boxes.







Alright then, you want more. How about those dollar box cards that cost me roughly fifty cents a piece.




I did say they were mainly Braves. Well half of them anyway.





Okay now let's squeeze in those $5.00 box cards that cost me two or three bucks each. And a few more of the .50 that I put in the scans with them.








Th ebottom two cards were in the dollar boxes as was the BLUE AG Chrome Riley!






Okay okay I'll get to those autographs. Like right now.





Same photo cropped differently to add the information panel. Not by me of course.






Now finishing this SHOW with those 3 high dollar autographed cards.



Silver ink, numbered 5/5. HOFer.




Numbered 15/25 framed mini. Some kind of parallel.




Well you should have finished that popcorn by now, go refill that Mountain Dew.


I'll be knocking down a lot of scans so be sure to get your butt cushion ready.



17 comments:

  1. Get well soon!

    Looks like Topps has revived the old Topps Kids look. Don't remember seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice as always, bulk is definitely the way to go! I like the corn card, but the Rickey on the same scan is almost as good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're living right. I've never spent that much at a show, nor spent that long at a show -- because I run out of money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It maybe impossible to collect just about everything - but it seems like you are sure as hell trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I miss those 5-6 hour long card shop or show visits. Id always ask "where's your junk boxes" and my LCS guy would let me go around back and dig through literally boxes of junk cards. Found some great stuff that way. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a haul! Let’s get together on one of my off days when so get back from vacation and we’ll hit up that shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet deal on some nice cards! They should hopefully make you feel better

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still think those Gold Label cards are great! I even saw a few TWINS cards. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Hunter. Hope you and he feel better. Cards should help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice autos! (and I recognize that Billy Hamilton!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent deal! Feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow great cards! Love the Niekro's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you're feeling better. I've stopped purchasing autographed 8x10's... but gotta admit Spahn's signature is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you're feeling better! Those are some great finds! The Warren Spahn auto is probably my favorite of the bunch - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like I will be going to Ormond Beach on my trip to Jax next month.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like your daughter is trying to knock you off so that she can get her half of the card inheritance sooner than later :)

    ReplyDelete