Thursday, October 5, 2023

Umpires

 You don't see umpires much these days on baseball cards. There aren't that many sets either dedicated to umpires. A 1976 TCMA, 88', 89', and 90'.  I have 1 set the 88'. There are 10 umpires in the Hall of Fame. There is also 1 in the Canadian HOF. Tonight I have 3 cards and the 1988 set to highlight. I do have a few cards already sitting in my PC's which I did not dig out. 





Back in the day the 80's and 90's I knew the umpires. I knew as much about them as I did the opposing players or teams. It was important back then. You could tell what kind of game it was going to be based on who was behind home plate. It was going to be a pitcher's night or a hitters night. There would be games where you were like crap it's going to be a rough night all because who was calling balls & strikes. You see when I grew up playing baseball the strike zone was from your tits to the knees. Not like it is today waist to the knees. You had umps that would give the corners and those that wouldn't. Besides knowing your teams pitcher's tendencies, knowing the ump was crucial. I'm sure the players today still pay attention to that stuff.... I don't. Not sure when I quit keeping up with the umpires. I had may favorites or at least the ones that you didn't mind so much when they were behind the catcher. I'll point out a few of them as we go through the cards.



I've had this set for quite a while. It was sealed until last night. Even the cards inside the box were sealed in plastic. The fronts look pretty good, the backs look cheap. I will show both so that you can read the write ups on each umpire.



Card #1 is Doug Harvey probably my favorite ump of days gone by. He is in the HOF along with Bill Klem, Jocko Conlan, Bill McGowan, Al Barlick, Cal Hubbard, Hank O'Day, Tom Connolly, Billy Evans, Nestor Chylak. The Canadian HOF is Ernest Quigley.





McSherry and Froemming were two I remember well, Rennert too. I am and will always be a National League guy. Don't confuse the Paul Runge ump with the ball player. Not the same guy. Short story, the player (who is a coach in the ATL farm system) also taught middle school here in Marion county FL. He spent his 8 years of MLB with the Braves. Probably a good idea not to confuse either of them with the serial killer of the same name.





Montague another favorite.





Joe West is another.





The Shulock card is going into the Easter (Holidates) binder. He has a cross on his hat. In case you are wondering I am "breaking up" this set. There are a couple that need to go in my PC. Another one that hits the birthday binders too.









There's Jocko the other HOFer in the set. 


There you go my umpire cards. I did not scan cqrd #64 as it is just the checklist of the cards above (it too has made the mini collections). I do have a few umpire cards in the PC but very few.

Barlick has 2, Chylak 1, Jocko now has 2, Harvey now has 2, Hubbard 2, Klem 4, McGowan 1, Evans 3, Connolly 2. I do not have ANY Hank O'Day, he is one of only 4 HOFers that I do not own a card of  YET.

Normally I would be against anyone sending me cards for my mini collections as that is my pleasure finding them in bulk boxes of cards. I NEVER go looking for specific cards. Well except for brand new released Braves cards, other than those I like finding them in cheap boxes of cards i buy. That is my pleasure, my happy place. Pretty sure I did get a few customs from Gavin a couple years back.

The exceptions are vintage mini collection needs as you don't buy to many "bulk" deals there.... true rarity.  The other being the missing HOFer cards:
Bid McPhee,
Hank O'Day,
Bud Selig,
Deacon White.



12 comments:

  1. I have heard of quite a few of these umpires. I can say for sure I don't really have any favorites. Do you think they will ever be replaced in the MLB at home plate by the electronic balls and strikes method in our lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I knew the umpires a lot better in the '70s and '80s, too, although I couldn't tell you much about them other than the games they called or what dumb call they made.

    I need someone to explain to me how the strike zone shifted so radically from what it was. Did the umps do this? What happened? And everyone on the field is OK with the tiny thing we have now. Someone please say, "all right we goofed, we're going to shift it back to the way it was for all those years."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a theory that the strike zone shift was caused by us being able to use computers to create that 2D rectangle which everyone treats as definitive now. Even though the real strike zone is supposed to be 3D (literally over the plate not just the front edge).

      I've been curious about the Atlantic League experiments with a different shaped zone (wider/lower in the classic National League strike zone way) and whether we'll ever get robot umps in the majors.

      Delete
  3. Did you ever get any of those umpire cards from the ‘04 Bowman Heritage set? I pulled a few back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that mini-collection comment was at least partially directed at me. I was looking forward to looking for 111s, 222s, etc. Limiting to vintage will cut it down dramatically. But the first one I came across looks like you need, 1959 111. So I'll keep looking for some more. And your set needs but fair warning much of my vintage is pretty rough.

    I used to know all the umps too, now I don't recognize any of the names. I can't even imagine who might be HOF worthy in the current, or even recent (last 20-30 years) day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several people keep wanting to send me mini collection stuff. As for set builds, hang on to the rough stuff I'll be okay waiting it out. One thing I've learned is patience (most of the time). You're right about today's ump I couldn't name a single one.

      Delete
  5. The only umpire worth having a card of would be the great Ron Luciano. Unfortunately I don't believe there is one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of those NL guys I remember very well. The AL guys not so much. I always wanted one of the NL umpire caps too. I must've been a weird kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't imagine that that Umpire boxed set sold too well. Hopefully no one decided to "invest" in those at the time, I can just see someone with 50 boxes of those still sitting in a closet somewhere.

    ReplyDelete