Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Ormond on Trade night

 Apparently Kyle runs these trade night/breaks every couple of months. This was my first time ever going to anything like it. I got there very early AT 4PM (it started at 6pm). That way I could dig through the dime boxes which I did. About a dozen monster boxes and I searched every single card. I pull around 3500 cards. Two things about that "dig" Kyle didn't charge me anything for them, nada, zippo, zero dinero. I must say that 2000 of the cards are from 2021 Topps Chrome TENNIS  release. So Greg, no need to buy any. Me got plenty to share. I'm not collecting them (well maybe a pretty girl or two), but cheap FREE and awesome looking cards you bet. The rest of that box was get this apx new 300 AG, 100 new Bowman Chrome, 100 new Pristine, 325 Topps X from 2022 Juan Soto, some new Cosmic Chrome, and misc. Bowman for a project.


The break was about a dozen Football boxes, I don't collect FB, but I participated anyway. More on that in a minute. There were raffle gift bags 20 of them. You got a ticket for each $25.00 you spent at the shop. I didn't win any of the bags. The 12 box break had guaranteed stated 26 autographs. I was randomized the Titans and get this I got 6 cards (not a lot of cards in the boxes they broke) and three OF THE 6 WERE autos. I gave those cards to Kyle for his shop, there was no one I had heard of, so no biggie. 

There was a BBQ food truck for the "event". It was pricey but man was it good. I ate before the trade thing started (it only took 90 minutes to blast through those dime boxes). One of the highlights for this event was buy two boxes and get one free. Yeah, that was interesting. More in a minute on that. 

I did bring some FB cards to trade, you know those Rice rookies mentioned last week, and a handful of others. I didn't trade them with the customers, I traded them to Kyle at the beginning of the event. 



The case is scratchy, so let's try this again.


Much better. Getting another Strider auto wasn't on my have to get list (I don't really have one of those lists). But it is what stood out in Kyle's cases.




Another scratchy case.



Now a Maddux autographed card would be on such a list if I had one. However my preference would have been a Braves uniform.






Closing the trade out with this pair. The ridiculous Negative refractor and a Marichal autograph. Not a bad addition of 4 cards for some football I just had sitting in my trade boxes. 

Now, because those 86' football (not just the Rice cards) looked so pristine, he is going to have them graded, and if any come back a 10 I will get a BIG kickback in store credit.


Okay, let's talk about the blasters/boxes I bought. I have steered clear of retail blasters for several years now with the exception of Chronicles, TSC, and Topps Holiday. 

I know that in the last few years the cards contained (quantity) were basically nothing, and the prices went from 19.99 to either 29.99 or 34.99. 






$20.00 a box, Okay I get three for $40.00. I can do that. 


So I picked up 3 of each. Got 4 raffle tickets too. Kyle rang me out at $80.00 and that covered the monster box of dime cards and a hundred or so $1.00 cards. That alone made the trip and night worth it. I will do three box breaks pitting 1 product vs the other as both had 8 packs per box. Should be fun.. 1 product does have an edge.

 I seen "Doc" who is a seller up in Jax who lives in the Ormond area. He is the guy I buy the $20.00 monster boxes of dime cards from in Jax. He brought his heavy hitters to the trade night. I didn't trade him, but worked a cash deal for some nice cards. I will do a post just of those cards later on probably next week or shortly thereafter.


I grabbed up some of Kyles cards (55) from his $5.00 boxes plus 6 from the $10.00, and a complete Titans insert set from 2023 Topps Chrome too. I will also do a post on just those in the near future.


All in all I was glad I went. I spent more than I should have, but I did get some really great cards and add in the free stuff including a KnT tee shirt. I'll do this again, but maybe not until they are breaking baseball only. 


10 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awesome shop. Great blaster box prices, and giveaways. The Strider Immaculate is very nice, and the Maddux auto as well.

    I'm somewhat of a football card collector, and I can't name more than a couple Titans either. Unless it was Derrick Henry, no big loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of such an event. ... And yeah I'm steering clear of the tennis cards. I had casually been checking the cost on boxes when I got your email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great, great night! I love those autos you got, but giving up nice Rice RCs?? I've been trying to score one of those since the early 90s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice haul with the Maddux and Strider autos. The buy 2 get 1 box deal sounds tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention they were 20.00 not 34.98 like I checked at Walmart today. Thats really almost 2 free

      Delete
  5. Nice time and nice finds. I'm curious as to what gems you might find in the boxes when and if you rip them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pickups, and sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A. Sweet Maddux autograph.

    B. You sifted through 12 monster boxes and pulled out 3500 cards in 90 minutes? You sir are a boss. I wish I had those skills... because I'm probably 5x to 10x slower... which means I typically stand around way longer... which ends up giving me a really sore back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always imagined, and even more so since the boom, that these trade nights would be just pure chaos, lots of people and lots of noise; and in a very confined space to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely a lot of people, lots of noise, but not chaos. It was fun but definitely geared towards the "hits". The trading part anyway. Then the raffles, and the box breaks to get the others involved. Overall pretty cool. I will do it again, but only when it is all baseball being box broke.

      Delete