Friday, September 13, 2024

The worst deal: part two

 I certainly had help deciding that it would only be a rare event for me to attend the card show in Jacksonville going forward. This purchase helped for sure, but I had been feeling like the deals from the last dozen years had run it's course. My "actual" local card show held in The Villages was last weekend and I went. Like usual I didn't stay long, nor did I buy a lot. Which is normal barring the vintage partial sets that I've picked up over the years. Those are always 50's and I really don't need to buy those binders anymore. I need 60's. I did talk to that seller about it and he says he really doesn't buy any 60's to [ut the books together. I hope he'll think about that before their next show over there (4x a year). Anyways, pretty much done in Jax. Here is the other half of what I started last night.











That Dominion Double play Ripken is the regular insert.



It is the PLUS variation, and it doesn't hurt with Jeter as the player on the flip side either.



Let's see who is paying attention to my words and not just looking at the pretty pictures. You see that autographed Gary Carter? I got two of them. The other one I am giving away here tonight. Post a comment on this post (I will close the entries Sunday night at midnight). Monday is actually my birthday so I will randomize the qualified entries two times to pick a winner.





Even found a few vintage tucked in the box.

\



This 2012 Trout mini was also a nice get.







Folks that is a wrap, have a great weekend. I think I'm heading to Clearwater for a card show. As for declaring this was the worst deal of the day it is because I paid $120.00 for the box, and end result barring a handful, the rest of these I could have easily found in the dime boxes in Ormond and paid $20.00-25.00 for the box. In my eyes I ate a hundred bucks.

I'll be hitting that Sport Lots haul that came in last month next week as well as the Tampa show and Hudson show. 


14 comments:

  1. The 2nd Carter is mine!! Yeah right.... I like the late nineties stuff the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul of cards. I like that Select Killebrew, never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Colt '45, Trout and Ohtani inserts, and two Gary Carter autos are pretty neat. I'm gonna check out the first half to see what you got for your $120. I can understand why you might think you overpaid - I've seen some decent to good flat rate boxes on eBay for about $60 - but there's mostly filler in those, so maybe card-for-card you did okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Carter autos might have gotten that deal closer to being a good one. His autographs are always pricey and go for decent prices.
    I was thinking about asking you how to do SportLots. I just placed an order today for some stars and commons to finish off some sets but wasn’t sure if doing the box to sportlots was the way to go or the other way or if it was even possible to get every seller to ship to the company. If I don’t have them shipped to the company do I just get a ton of packages going to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and pay a lot more in shipping too. The box thing typically cuts the overall shipping in half at minimum. I stick to the sellers that have no charge to ship to box. Once I get about 400/500 cards there I request shipping at pay $10-20 total shipping.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! I really like that unlicensed Griffey "future stars"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I commented but am not interested in the Carter. Others here will enjoy that more than I will.

      Delete
  6. That Jeter ripken is sweet!

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy early birthday! I agree with Crocodile, any Killebrew card is great. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carter is cool. What is that 1988ish Griffey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is some unlicensed thing. I put in the PC boxes. I'll probably get to the G's before the end of the year , lol.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday! Nice haul and would love a Gary Carter auto!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I am a Sept birthday myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A. Ripken & Jeter pair well on cardboard.
    B. Happy birthday!
    C. Is that Griffey Future Stars card from a magazine?

    ReplyDelete