Sunday, September 8, 2024

The AUDACITY of it all! Content provided by Gregory Gay: aka NOC, Night Owl Cards.

 I am for the most part a pretty easy going guy. Yes, definitely set in my ways and have an absolute set of values. As much as I'd like to say it is "where I grew up", it is certainly because of who and how I was raised. One such matter is WORK. I was taught that it didn't matter whether you were a ditch digger or a Dr. Made a buck an hour or a hundred....you work the same. Work as hard as you can and with pride in it no matter what. That philosophy has more than paid me back 10x in my life. Then again, I am just naturally good at everything I do, LOL. Yeah part of what makes me me is my sense of humor. What can I say....I love me. Back to the rant (sort of- this is a 2 parter as you will see). WORK, some people have no sense of pride, they could care less about their work and in my opinion the very air they breathe should be sucked right out them. I find them disgusting and a waste of my oxygen. The earth would be better without them in it. Yes, I know that is harsh, very very harsh, but it is exactly how I feel about it. Okay, this is where my sense of humor kicks in. I recently got a bubble mailer from Greg. Here is what the package looked like.



That is rough looking. Almost looks like the mail truck drove over it. Obviously someone wasn't caring too much about their work and just stepped all over it.



It is obvious that they didn't care because they didn't pick up rather than walk all over it. Apparently they wanted too, and decided hey let's flip it over and stomp on it a few times. 

Looking over the package I waited a day to open worrying what the cards might look like. Now, I was hoping to be lucky as I have been my whole life (actually I say blessed, not lucky).

Good news, the cards were okay.... all 18 of them. (tip to The Owl) two envelopes (or 1) and two stamps would have been fine and saved you a few bucks.


Now let's get straight to the "content". Greg had the audacity to send me cards, send me 17 Braves cards, and for some reason thought that it would be appropriate to include a Vintage 1970 Topps in Ex-NM high number set build need. Can you believe the nerve of that guy?




The Golden Idols Tom Glavine is already in my Braves team set, however there are 2 pluses to mention about it. 1) In Greg's defense my webpage said I needed it. 2) Glavine is a HOF PC guy so I needed it there anyways.  The Optic flipped over is so you can see it is numbered to /75 (blue prizm). Teh Hank Aaron mini is the AG back. So the first 9 are 9 for 9.




A Bazooka back Braves card, yippee! A Braves Chrome Black and a gold parallel numbered to /50. A Hammer need, an autograph newbie. Now we have another Hank Aaron, this time Greg missed the mark. I already had this, but not sure I may have recently picked it up, so it is forgivable. A rainbow foil Money Mike, and my first Braves EGG card. And that beautiful high numbered 1970 Topps card. How dare you send me such things, and then to include this note:



Dude, in this day and age you can do the math (even if you need a calculator) You got 94.4444444444%. Geez, get it right man. 1+1 does not equal 5. Sorry. That is not how this works.


See, I told y'all I had a sense of humor (sarcasm is the highest level of comedy).

 Greg you did amazing I give it 17/18 super hits. Again, I probably didn't have that Aaron when you mailed the package). I don't really grade on the curve (I disagree with that whole idea). But is still give you 100%. Thanks for the package.


Have a great night folks.



7 comments:

  1. lol, I chose the bubble mailer because with the quality of cards I wanted to make sure they were in safe keeping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice group of cards. That 1970 Dyer card is part of my screensaver file. They are a slideshow of all 1970 cards that I once upon a time had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Vintage pricing not valid in 2020". Some Topps lawyer worrying someone's going to take that card in the candy store and demand penny bazooka gum.

    I think they were the last thing you can buy for a penny in a store. Looks like they only come in packs now of at least $1. Probably nothing even a quarter these days. Single banana at Trader Joe's maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty sure the bananas went up to .53 there too. It was a question on trivia night earlier this year, lol.

      Delete
  4. One of the things I try to emphasize with my students is to choose a career they will enjoy... so that they will take pride in their job... instead of only doing it for the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100%! I raised my girls to find the work they enjoy and to never compromise themselves for the sake of money. So far so good, lol. When you enjoy your work you'll never work a day in your life, that's not to say there aren't some bad days, I guess Swiftie had the right idea to just "Shake it off", lol.

      Delete
  5. The USPS is going downhill fast, and unfortunately for us, they still have a long way to go before they reach bottom. And you should be thankful that NO when the bubble mailer route on these, as a PWE probably wouldn't have survived such abuses.

    ReplyDelete