Thursday, December 21, 2023

More on what I said

 Okay, well maybe on a couple of things I've mentioned as of late.

1) The 90's insert thing. Seems like there is enough interest or at least curiosity for me to put together a series like I had planned but forgot. It won't be in the immediate future though. I will work on it a little bit at a time building several posts worth to last a while. 

2) The 100,000 card pick up. Several things here. Turns out when there are apx. 2500 cards in protectors/top loaders not as many cards. Looks to be somewhere between 75-80,000 cards. Thirty two monsters boxes. That was a pick up for me to have fun with (whatever that may mean). The protected cards were definitely for my collection. There were 41 cards from Kyle's $5.00, two from the $10.00 box with the rest hand picked out of his dollar boxes. If you consider the entire lot as individual cards then I paid a penny each. With that said, the 2500 cards for my collection made up half of the total expense. In reality the 75K+ cards were almost 2 for a penny.... almost. 

    The dime-box cards as the are commonly called were a mix of pretty much all sports, like that lot I bought for that dealer before, just double the boxes for the same money I paid for those. It took me 4 and 1/2 days to sort them into their sport while pulling cards that I wanted as well as for other people. For me I was pulling set needs, PC guys, Braves, and mini collections. I also sorted the baseball by set....sort of. There is apx 5K of series 1, 5k of series 2, and 3k of 2023 Topps Update. Another 3K in Topps Chrome and several hundred Chrome Update. The cards are basically from 2020-2023 maybe 95% of them. This goes for all sports. 


Tonight I will provide you an appetizer from the dime cards (probably should call them penny cards huh)? Just a teaser because there is a lot of work just to scan up some of those to last for many posts. Just the baseball at that. No I won't be scanning them all maybe a few hundred to scatter around from time to time. 

Now for anyone interested in Hockey, Soccer, Basketball, Racing, Football, UFC, and Tennis by all means let me know. I really have no use for them so trading them away for peanuts (I have to cover shipping). Would be more shipping friendly for me to do a medium flat rate box (1800-2400 cards) at apx. $18.00 shipping. That would be ideal to get $20.00 worth of Braves needs (even a single $20 card), or $20.00 worth of set build needs. I only need 200,000 Braves and probably more in set needs. Better yet how $20 cash (not paypal) for a blaster consisting of 2K cards give or take. 


Now why did I buy that mess and bust my butt sorting them (4 1/2 days)? I'll tell you (sort of). When I got to Kyle's shop last Thursday the dime box table was a mess. Cards out of boxes scattered all over the place. I had been through them a couple of times already, but they just fill in the gaps with new stuff so you have to poke through them every time. I immediately said UGH, and started "cleaning" the area up. While, putting cards back into the boxes one card caught my eye. I looked at it for a moment and said eh and put into a box. I spent over 6 hours in the shop hand picking those dollar cards and ALL DAY LONG customers, workers, and Kyle was talking about a specific card. In my head I am thinking the card that caught my eye might be it. It would be a thousand dollar base card if it is. Well, I finished up going/sorting the boxes Tuesday while Jeremy was here pulling set build needs. I did NOT find the card and I know damn well I seen what I seen and put it in the box. So I have gotten about half way through flipping through them again. I prioritized what I have gone through as that would be the quickest way to find the card I overlooked. Still NADA, Pretty sure it ain't in the racing, soccer, ufc, and tennis boxes. But it doesn't mean it wasn't stuck as I quickly ran through the cards on the original sort. So I knocked out the baseball and keepers stuff, now I have to go through the football and basketball cards again. I know the cards is these boxes somewhere. If and when I find it, I will certainly post it and let you all know about the card even if it isn't the thousand dollar card I suspect it is. 


Ready for dime-box I mean penny finds?



This card caught my eye while sorting. I knew the base color of the Authentix set was silver. I was like oh cool it is a gold parallel just not of a guy I collect.



When I turned the card over and seen it was numbered to 5 I was blown away. I have already mailed it out to someone.... call it a Christmas present.


Then there was this oddly minor league insert cards I assume from Heritage minors from recent past (not the current year).





Those definitely get your attention, at least it got mine. The backs are great as well.





Okay that was just the appetizer for what is to come once I get some more of them scanned. A week from today I'll post on some of the $5.00 box cards (half) and 1 of the $10.00 cards. I will say that I only paid $2.00 each for those. A smidgeon less actually ($80.00 for all 43 cards). 

21 comments:

  1. I am interested in getting a box for $20. Either Basketball or Football or a mix of both. I have looked at your wantlists and don't think I have anything for you. The issue is how to get you $20 cash safely through the mail. Any ideas would be appreciated. The Hunter 2/5 is fantastic. The minor league cards are cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cash wrapped in a piece of paper is okay, otherwise an old fashion check is fine too.

      Delete
    2. Sounds great. Please sign me up for a Football/Basketball mix or just one of those two sports would be great also. I'll put a twenty in the mail for you. Thanks! Randy

      Delete
  2. If that's an appetizer I can't wait for the main course. I'd be interested in hockey or football, let me know what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's about 20,000 football cards from all brands all teams from the last few years. Hockey less than a 1K off the top of my head

      Delete
  3. Yeah those Heritage Minors inserts are pretty fascinating. I probably should have been paying more attention to that set back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly those Heritage Minors inserts. Not the usual suspects on the checklist too,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found a few more horizontal ones tonight while "re-searching" some boxes from the haul.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, I need that Torii Hunter for my Connecticut collection.

    I might be interested in any hockey cards you want to spare (after Crocodile of course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I already mailed the Torri out to someone. As for the Hockey, Croc was also interested in FB, so I'll probably save those Hockey for you.

      Delete
    2. Did Chris mean the New Britain Torii?

      Delete
  6. John: I was in Florida last week for the NCAA Volleyball Championship in Tampa. I drove over to Ormond Beach on Sunday night and went to Kyle's shop on Monday.

    You must have made this big purchase before I got there to see all of their dime boxes you have mentioned in your past posts. I asked about you and Kyle mentioned that you cleared him out a few days previously. So there was not much for me to see.

    He has a nice shop. I headed on to Jax Sports cards for their wall of commons.

    All in all a great trip to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, Next time you'll have to come to my house. I might have a few boxes to dig through. More like 250 monsters, lol. Jeremy was just here.

      Delete
  7. Long hair on a guy who came up in the early 60s - LaRussa. Looks like it was 1975, after he had already played his last MLB game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might be up for a box of football. If they're all recent, then either all Washington, or just certain sets like Prestige. Would really have to know what's there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly recent cards the last few years. all brands. They are not sorted though. It appears they are or were grouped by teams but not totally. Now they are pretty much just in monster boxes. I have no plans on sorting. I can try to grab as many Washington as possible. Not sure It will fill a medium flat rate box.

      Delete
  9. I'd be interested in some hockey, but it certainly wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping. Thanks again though as always for your kindness and generosity. It's amazing that you're always thinking of others. Hope your daughters follow you in your footsteps. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't realize they put veterans in those Heritage Minors products. It kind of makes me want to look into buying a box. Very tempted to buy into some of those boxes... but I already have a box from you sitting in my office. I did pick up something for your Braves PC as a thank you present. I'm gonna avoid the post office until January though... but you can expect it in a few weeks. Happy holidays buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had better get to that last box because I am close to getting another one ready to go. LOL!

      Delete
  11. That's a great photo that they used for Johnny Mize. He looks so young!

    ReplyDelete