Monday, December 11, 2023

MONDAY MINI COLLECTION: BUBBLE GUM CARDS

 Okay, I must start this short series (6 post scattered over 7/8 weeks) with the following statement:  "This is my favorite mini collection". Bar none. Not even my Braves in the Background (Background Braves if you prefer). 



I don't have a lot of vintage with bubble gum (excluding gum stains). The Blyleven and Bevacqua had always caught my eye. I found them very interesting, but neither of those cards is what set out to build this binder.



When I get to the card that set me off on this trek/journey I will let you know. Meanwhile, I'll throw this tidbit out there for y'all. Over this series you may notice that a lot of repeat players appear here and there. Maybe over the next 2 months you'll start leaning one way or another. I have already run the numbers however, I will wait until the last post to drop them. See if you were/are right. I'll pick the team and player with the most appearances blowing a bubble or showing bubble gum.



I will put this out there too, Upper Deck certainly is leading the way as far as brands go so far. There is close to 15 years without baseball cards for the brand. Do you think they can hold their current pace? 



Another thing I need to say is that I certainly miss the good old days when you had photos on the card backs especially when it is a completely different pic from the front!




Alrighty then, there is the first round of my Bubble Gum binder. I hope you enjoyed them....I know I do. So much that I feel like making this series "INTERACTIVE".

Everybody chime in each Monday on the best card considering the topic. Let's see who wins each week. Maybe I'll bracket them up at the end and do a PLAYOFF! And a Grand Champion.


UPDATE: After doing some research I found several blog posts sort of related going back to 2009. Even our own Night Owl popped one out a few years back.


Here is a link that I think you will very much enjoy (if you haven't already been there).

1976 Bubble Gum Championship

12 comments:

  1. I feel like Darryl Hamilton has a number of bubble cards, but I think Griffey would win.
    The Bevaqua card would win todays best card contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... its not fair putting the Bevacqua card in this group. That's the best card hands down. But I'll pick the Jeff Kunkel just because he looks like he's concentrating on beating Bevacqua.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Griffey on a commercial yesterday blowing a bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll go with Piniella. I assume you've seen the Best Bubble blog? He's the only guy who might have more of these than you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how many he has. I have seen his blog. I have 252 unique cards in my binder. It is going to last for awhile.

      Delete
  5. Bevacqua really has to win this one, doesn't he? I'll give Brad Mills a second place vote though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob from Best Bubble I have over 1200 unique bubble cards with many doubles I'd be happy to send some your way

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of quality bubble shots in this post. I like the 75T Blyleven and the 92 OPC Premier Clark... but like Crocodile pointed out... the Bevacqua is in a league of his own. That card sets the standard for all other bubble cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm guessing that there haven't been many gum pictures in the Panini era.

    ReplyDelete