Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Who likes jigsaw puzzles?

 I finally got around to emptying the box of old sports games that I bought at The Villages Spring card show. I have since been twice more (Summer) including last weekend (Fall). 


I have a sort of small collection of vintage games, the majority being sports primarily baseball. One day I may actually take pictures of that stuff and post it. I did however find in the bottom of the box this.



I'm not sure how old this is. The cover is from 1950. I also didn't know if the puzzle had all of the pieces.



Yep, the puzzle is complete well was complete (I put it back in the box). Interesting commentary on the actual puzzle regarding Sid Gordon and the fact that he was traded to Boston (Braves) after the art work was done but before publishing.

So there ya go, something different yet still baseball.

Now I did mention the Villages card show last weekend. I went there instead of to Jacksonville. I didn't buy a whole lot. That was good for several reasons including the wallet, but mainly so that I wasn't piling on to what I need to get done. My heaviest purchase this time was books......Lots and lots of books. Hardbacks, paperbacks, soft covers, and periodicals (HOF programs and year books). I did buy some cards nothing spectacular but fun for sure.

Here we go.


I remember sitting at the Villages summer show digging through a few dime boxes and the kid and his dad kept running over and buying these grab bags (a buck each 50 cards). They were waylaid over the cards inside. In the hour plus I was sitting at their table they must of opened a dozen or more. So I seen them this time and I bough them all. I eye counted and came up with 17 packs (turns out there were 19). The guy told me $12.00. I of course have peeked in to all of them and put them back into the bag. I plan on scanning 1 or so packs at a time (not today). Pretty much all new stuff or refractors of fairly recent cards. The cost was less .64 a bag making the cards barely a penny each. 



This box was misleading, but I did look inside before buying (for $4.00). They are oddball mainly food issued cards. So fun, but not scanning those at all. I bought another box from this seller too. HOF plaque post cards. Yes I collect those too. I have all but 73 members none from 21, 22, or 23 yet. I also collect duplicates that have different print dates. One day I may scan those up.... maybe once I have all current members.  Just like everything else I collect I don't purposely go looking for something. I see them when I see them. 





That is about all I have tonight. I know I still have more from last month's Jax card show. 


10 comments:

  1. You find the best stuff. Bet those grab bags were a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grab bags like that would be fun to go through. Nice job on the puzzle. They are not my forte. I'm good at 4-piece puzzles. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the card show I took my kids to there was a dealer with these grab bags (more like $5) and my kids both plumped for them. Lots of fun stuff though and sadly the closest they get to ripping packs nowadays since there's never anything available in Target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great price for a big box of food oddballs. Better than reprints I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been a sucker for grab bags, especially at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually steer clear from them, but I knew that these were not junk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing a sample of those grab bags one day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a 1000 piece puzzle sitting out ready to be finished. I think I'm maybe a third of the way but haven't touched it since spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool puzzle. I found a cool Sports Illustrated puzzle from the 70's that features baseball cards at the flea market, but sadly... it's not complete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a neat puzzle, and one that I'd totally buy if I ever came across one cheap.

    ReplyDelete