Thursday, September 7, 2023

FRANKEN-FRIDAY: TRIPLE DEUCES

 Let's get the numbers out of the way first.

According to Beckett there are 4,224 baseball cards numbered with 222.

I own (rather have dupes of) 194. 

The numbers from the triple ones were 9,372 cards, and the trend of cutting in half doesn't stop with the deuces. Each number decreases as we progress through them. 

The Braves once again had more than any other team with 15. Now, there is an obvious reason for that. I keep my Braves dupes separate from all of the others and I also go through my Braves cards pretty thorough when I get a card. If it isn't a need, I check the numbering and whatever else to see if I can put it somewhere other than in a dupes box.

With that said the Dodgers were right behind the Braves with 13 followed by the Astros with 12. Pirates and Royals each had 11. The White Sox had 10 to cover everyone in double digits, pun intended.

Only one player this time with three entrys and again it was 2000 Topps base, HTA, and Limited of Kevin Millwood a Brave. There a dozen players who appeared twice.

Now here are the pages, mind you for the rest of the triplets I will be scanning them before I put them in the binder to make less scanning.



The earliest card here is the 65'. A dozen years knocked out on one scan.











In case you think I have the cards in the wrong order I don't. I was overlapping pages that lined up with the next page to reduce scans.























There is the Millwood I mentioned. No idea why the scan on the last card appears different.
























That's all folks. Have a great weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting, just for fun I checked TCDB, and they list 3,941 baseball cards numbered 222. That's quite a disparity from Beckett's total!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TCDB is weird on some issues, they don't consider some blatant errors either. I am so used to checking both of those places and carboard connection which seems to be the best at checklists it is just habit.

      Delete
  2. This is a unique frankenset for sure. The '84 Fleer Cruz, Benji Gil Finest refractor, Fernando, and the Gerald Williams caught my eye. Cueto and Kemp are neat, too. I really liked the '91 Topps portion of Archives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a great way to look at the vast array of sets/brands with a sort of like randomness to the players so everyone "gets a fair shake", lol.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you could search TCDB by number. Those Millwoods look good all in a row like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible organization. I really like how you have them put together by year and also including the different card makers as well. Enjoy the weekend! I'll be celebrating with family for my Grandson's 3rd birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always bugged me when OPC and Topps used different numbering but it's really cool here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continuing to track these down should keep you busy for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't track them down. I probably have a ton of them sitting in the PC boxes that once I determine if they are needed there or not, then can go to this collection. Also I haven't searched my actual dupes boxes either. When I buy a bulk deal I pull them out if not needed in the Braves or set builds. I really don't look for anything outside of "newly released" Braves and set builds. Even then barring a few cards if ain't a dime (or sportlots/cardbarrel .20) I'll probably will just wait it out until it winds up in a dime box. (I'm cheap that way most of the time).

      Delete
  7. When I didn't see Gwynn in this post... I checked on COMC to see if he has any 222 cards. He has a 1989 Panini Sticker and a 2007 UD Goudey card. I highly doubt I have that sticker... but I might have an extra Goudey.

    ReplyDelete