Thursday, August 25, 2016

Getting Caught Up: Double Meaning

     I'm usually the blogger that likes to show off the cards he gets with little commentary. However, from time to time I get "caught up" in something and must write about it. Today is one of those days. Let's start with the the double meaning or better worded double edged sword.

     On one side "getting caught up" is a good thing (not that I am anywhere close to being caught up). One such area I am currently in the process of catching up is my PCs. Normally I would update these every 3 or 4 months. Why you ask? because there are somewhere between 400-500 Player Collections. Yeah, NUTS, I know. HOFer's are a shoe in, and theres the guys that were just so so close, and then we have the active players that should, and lastly those that have "issues"  peds, etc...

     There is a process that I have (like we all do). First I see a card, get the card then throw in a stack. Eventually the stack gets tall enough to sort it even further into player piles/stacks. Yes, literally and physically each player is sitting in a stack somewhere around my home, inside of course. Then 3 of 4 times a year I will check them against the xl sheet to see if I even need it. It has been a long time since I last did this and normally wouldn't be too bad to get caught up. But as you guys are well aware of by now the 2 million card haul from June, and lest we forget I had just gotten seems like 250K back in May. That seems so long ago now. I knew then that I was in for some serious work to get them into the computer and then ultimately into their final resting place a Binder! A lot of work.

This brings me to the "other" side of the sword, "getting caught up" in something. I bet you guys were thinking the workload was the double edged sword, not this time. I finally got 90% of the cards sorted into their player stacks....part 1 of the process nearly complete. Of the remaining 10% half is unsorted guys I really don't have a ton of, mainly older guys and a lot of newer guys.The stacks were so tall this go around that I then had to put them into monster boxes, alphabetically of course. The player by player as I am getting ready to check them against the PC, I put them in chronological order, makes it easier to check against the list. Then scan them (not every time, but this time yes, I want you to see them). this is where the getting caught up in comes in. I was on the letter A got into it, making process and before you knew it I was in the Bs, that's when I realized I had a put some of them in their binders and didn't scan them, oops, I got caught up in the process. You will notice these as they will be the ones in pages on the scans, and they are not reflecting all of the "new to me" additions as for some reason or another there are pages that are missing cards and I always fill them up when updating, so I had to go off of memory. Best guess on the few that this happened to is about 50% of the new additions. I will try to do my best moving forward, but it is a tedious process and no doubt I will get "caught up" in it again.

Wordy I know. lets look a the first player updated, and yes I initially forgot to scan them before I put them in the binder.

Hank Aaron: total unique cards: 110. (only the new to me are below).


Sid Bream card but I wanted the reference to Aaron in the binder.

I have no idea why I didn't already have this card.

There were a handful more but scattered throughout his binder. This is the only player that I individually cropped the cards to show. Also because I recently posted the over sized cards and other misc, those are not included in the scan either.

A few days a week I will post a player running in alphabetical order of the ones being updated this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment