Thursday, October 17, 2024

A SPIN ON "VARIETY" Okay okay not really variety....a more specific word would be VARIATIONS!

 Variations. Lord knows the baseball card world has way too many of them. In the "old days" they were for the most part unintentional. Things like errors such as typos even card stock. then the 80's & 90's happened. So many errors and yes probably unintentional but still there were SO MANY. Then print variations like * or ** in the copyright or Inc. vs inc no period all over the place. Pack versions was vs cello border designs, throw in factory set versions too. The 60's Venezuelan cards and French we didn't mind those. Fast forward to the parallels and the 2000's-current with intentional errors and all of the parallels. My goodness talk about madness. 

I have not nor will I ever appreciate the modern era craziness. I am a-okay with UER. I could even tolerate 1 ONE border color variation and doesn't matter what color it would be, red, black, gold, whatever and even pink which I'll close this post on that specific note.

Topps & Panini alike both went rampant with SP variations or just flat out variations printed as the same as the base card. Nuts I say. But....I will always scoop up any I find at cheap prices especially if they are in dime boxes (love those). When it comes to the modern Donruss set builds I have always gotten the "variations" while building the set. I believe I have them all (modern day stuff). The 80's and 90's forget about it, I rarely even think about them then all of sudden I find myself checking the backs for which one I have and if I have them all. I posted about that not too long ago, but that is not what this post is highlighting. Nope, I am hitting up on the modern day Topps SP/Legend/Image/Factory variations. In that last ComC order that came in I loaded up on them. THIRTY SIX of them. Here they are.



Some of these guys are PC guys, however I am putting these cards in the set builds.








Some of these cards would also fit into other mini collections like the bubble gum card you see above, and some would fit in the "Wacky" binder which I thought that I would have kick started that themed Wednesday post again by now. Maybe I'll get it going before the end of the year. 

Earlier in this post I mention getting back to PINK. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and over the years I have varied in how I posted my PINK cards. I've done them all in one shot (too exhausting), and other times I posted them every day of the month. This year I decided to just do 9 posts highlighting half of the cards. Topps Chrome mainly, but other Topps too. I'll start those on Monday and will finish out the month. 

Now I am not discounting the other PINK cards from Bowman, Donruss/Panini. I am saving those for roughly 6 months down the road on/around MOTHER'S DAY. 

I think breaking the Pink up this way will be easier on both me and you. Now you know what I spent the last two days doing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man it never even occurs to me to look for these. I got lucky (I guess) in a break once and landed a bunch but other than that I never even remember they exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The number of variations is incredible. The only way I could account for some of them was to use a magnifying glass. Craziness at its best. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete