Friday, August 2, 2024

Justifying the NUMBERS.

 Busy day today, didn't sleep well (back), got up before the sun. Had some coffee and waffles whilst researching braves cards on the www. Read a couple of blog posts, replied to a comment or two. Then headed to the bank and to get some gas also went to 2 stores looking for a new funnel. Mowed the lawn and my brother's. Shoveled some dirt. All of this done before lunch plus I threw in a load of laundry. Yeah, wiped. I also wrote this post before going to the bank, just need to wait until tonight and hit publish. Plans on going to Jacksonville tomorrow, and then on to St. Pete on Sunday. Wow, just writing all of that makes me exhausted. 


Okay, I sent 152 PWE's of 2021-2024 Topps to an OCTer. My investment in the cards were about $8.00. The Postage here is the big issue (but I had those stamps for a year or two). I could have dumped the 900 or so cards into a box and mailed them for about $15.00. I would have only received 1 trader point for that at OCT instead of the 152 (which pushed me to that 3K milestone I just hit). Now let's do some math. $75.00- $15.00= $60.00 then place value on the years worth of not waiting on hitting that milestone (not to mention that I would have had to pay that higher shipping costs to get those points). I'll lower my investment from the $60.00 + $8.00 down to to about $30-35.00.  Now, let's look to see the return that I got.


First there were exactly 150 Upper Deck cards mainly 2008 for my set builds all needs. No scanning those. 



All of the cards were needs albeit many will still need to be upgraded. Here we have a 1951 Topps red back, 1952 Topps and a pair of 59' Ted Williams closing with 3 63's.

I'll write off $10.00 there. Could easily write off $20.00.






Some vintage Bowman. Mark down another $10.00.




More vintage needs, mark off $5.00.




Now Randy had sent a stack of modern Braves (the vintage were set build needs), and these 5 were all that I needed. I'll mark down another buck here.

Number crunch time: $30.00 -26= $4.00. 

The way I see the cards above actually cost me $4.00 above and beyond my investment. Oh dang. Shucks darnit. I probably should have left the text in black ink instead of putting it in the read. Nah..... I certainly got $4.00 worth of smiles (stole that one from Nick) marking off the needs. 178 needs albeit a dozen will need to be upgraded.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Man, getting a ‘51 and ‘52 Topps card, I would call that a win by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Hope your back feels better. Have fun in Jacksonville today.

    B. I love early 50's Bowman baseball. Wish I would have appreciated them a little earlier in my collecting years.

    C. Congratulations on landing a 1952 Topps card in the trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed seeing all these nice vintage cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems like an awful lot of money to spend just to get points on some site. But, if it was important to you, then I'd say it was money well spent :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice return for modern junk.

    ReplyDelete