Thursday, November 23, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving!

 I wish everyone out there a Happy Thanksgiving. I'd also like to thank everyone out there who take time to give this old blog a peek. When my kids were little (and at home) I had a tradition more of a Thanksgiving Day speech where I custom wrote each year highlighting something about each person sitting at the table. I would plan for months, sometimes all year really. When something happened in one of my loved ones lives that I knew might be good for the speech (memorable) I would jot it down in a notebook. As the kids grew and they were more active outside the house the list grew too as did the speech. I looked forward to making that speech each year. I miss that, the kids I'm sure don't (sometimes it could embarrass them- yes I took pleasure in that then and now). Life is full of gifts if you just look for them. My mom would call those gifts favors. I won't get to share Thanksgiving Day with any of my kids in person this year, but I will be able to spend it with my brother, one of my sister's, and her family. Something that I haven't been able to do without having to spend 6 hours driving up and straight back immediately after eating in a very long time. That is a blessing to be thankful for. I will get to see Hunter and Christy this weekend though and that too I'm thankful for, especially if I get to see them at the same time. That I am praying for because that hasn't happened in 12 years. There is a small chance on Saturday. I am thankful for so much that I couldn't possibly put it all in this post (I wouldn't do that to y'all). I am certainly grateful for baseball cards and the opportunities collecting them has provided me with. Friends that wouldn't be with some I've met and some unmet and may never meet in person. Nonetheless, still friends. I am thankful for all of you. 

14 comments:

  1. Love how thoughtful the speech was and that you kept track all year to make it special. Enjoy the day with your siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving John! No driving means more food right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really eating more. I pretty much eat a lot all of the time. I keep it simple though: turkey breast, green beans, mashed potatoes or candied yams, and stuffing (if it is Stovetop). I let everyone else eat the other stuff. Oh, I definitely have some bread too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, John! I love the speech idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, lovely idea with the speech. Recent oral surgery means it'll be a low-gear meal for me this year. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to John and all who read this. We all have alot to be thankful for every day, but today really makes us think about it more. Thanks for helping me understand more about the great hobby of cards. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your brother, sister, and her family! That speech is a really cool idea. Hope you kept that notebook where you jotted notes. That would be a pretty sentimental and fun read for you one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a great time yesterday. No I didn't keep the notes or the hand written speeches either. Shame on me.

      Delete
  8. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you got to see them at the same time!

    ReplyDelete