Friday, April 28, 2023

Let's play BALL!

 I had an interesting day yesterday. 

Started out with a wake up text from my daughter Hunter. She wanted to come over take a shower before work (see explanation below). I figured Hunter coming over in the morning would wipe out her coming over before Bible Study after work.  So....

I drove over to Ormond Beach to a card shop. Met up with my dealer buddy from Jax. Fred there and his two daughters it was one of their birthdays (and she works there once a week too). Anyways, Fred usually has an extra table set up in Jax to sell cards for Kyle (I've mentioned the name before and will be doing so real soon). He (Fred) has always told me that he gets the stuff he gives me or sells me cheap from Kyle. The funny thing is I was planning on meeting Fred there on Wednesday a couple weeks ago, but Fred had to 86 the plan that week. That's not the funny part, I had bid on an Ebay auction the night before that was ending on Wednesday. No idea who the seller was..... until I won the auction (will show it soon.....maybe). It was Kyle or at least his shop!. Back to the story. I went there yesterday, and spent the entire day there not that you could do anything else here (it has been non stop thunderstorms all week, tennis ball size hail, bad weather week). It was if I was a card show but just 1 dealer and chairs for every box. Lots of boxes. I will tell all the details when I post the GETS. 


What? You thought I was going to show them tonight? Get outta here. Nope, we got some more of that oddball stuff from the March Jacksonville show. :)

I got home around 7:30 pm. Hunter had in fact came by. I know this because the lights were off in my garage. I hadn't shut those lights off since I built the home in 2004, well since the move in 2005. Not to mention the house was FREEZING. Y'all know I keep my house at 81 degrees, it was 77, and the a/c was blowing hard. Another quick fix, now to wait until it warmed back up, low and behold here comes Hunter and my grandson back shortly thereafter. Normally, she doesn't have Elijah on Thursday nights, which is why she apparently came over before church to give him a bath as their water was still out. (I'm thinking lightning), anyways she remembered that she left the a/c on, and was coming back to turn it off not knowing if I was coming home or not after finding out that I wasn't home earlier. That was a great finish to the day for sure. 


Okay okay baseball cards.



1977 HOF set. Over Sized. 















That is a pretty good line-up there.  Not the best quality either. A standard size centered card would have been so much better.


Let's do another set or two or three.



This Clemente set is oversized as well. Fits in a 4 pocket page.





Negro League set.







A few of those names were familiar, and a few not.


One more to go tonight.



How about a Nolan Ryan set.






Okay, that's good for tonight. I figure it was best to gets these all out at once being that they are made by the same folks and are very very similar design wise that is.


Have a great weekend. I had been planning on heading to the Tampa card show on Saturday. Now, I'm not sure because of the great haul at Kyle's card shop! I guess I'll figure it out in the morning (if I wake up real early).

Oh the winner last night was: Nick V.


18 comments:

  1. That top set has some fun pics. Jealous about your time at the card shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot woot!

    So that Hall of Fame set is a bunch of reprinted Exhibits shrunk down to fit in that overdone border. Kind of weird and I hate that they show up when I'm looking for real Exhibit cards.

    And that Nolan Ryan set is kind of hilarious because of it needing 12 different headshots of Nolan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up here in NY still have to turn on the heat in the morning to get it up to 67 in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed that at least some of those baseball's great hall of fame cards are ripping off photos from the old Exhibits cards. Including that Spahn exhibits I won from you a while back.

      Delete
  4. Those oversized HOF cards have some great photographs. I don't know why Lou Gerhig with his hands in his back pockets amuses me, but it does...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those painted cards look real nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those Hall of Fame cards!

    81 degrees, huh? My wife would never survive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was it Fred’s shop or did you just meet him there? Karen works in Ormond, I could’ve maybe met up with you guys after work had I known. Glad you got some cool stuff from Kyle (although you had to have the post office as a middleman)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is Kyle's shop he is a friend of Fred's. I brought back a lot....you'll see eventually.

      Delete
  8. I have to do the conversion, simply because I know it's not the scale I'm used to.. lol 81.... 27, almost 28 C.... Damn that's too warm for me.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue is my favorite color, but I like the Clemente set the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa, 81 degrees is too hot for me! That Negro Leagues set was pretty cool since there were a lot of new-to-me guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go to the card show! I don’t have card shows or an LCS so I want to live through it on here! Hopefully you can find some fun stuff at it as well! (If you ever find any rare Charles way, Rodney Hampton, Kerry Collins hit me up via email and I will respond fast lol)

    Have a great weekend and God Bless!
    Matt-SCC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lot of awesome cards there! I like the Hall of Fame set. Hope the weather gets better for you soon. Lot of rain all weekend here, which causes youth baseball chaos of make up dates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is Kyle's card shop in Jacksonville? I am planning a trip in June for the Jacksonville Show and another card shop to hit would be great to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle's shop is in Ormond Beach. I do know a local card shop in Jax and it is close to the card show. Basically same street.

      Delete
  14. You and I could never be roommates. I keep my place anywhere between 58 to 62 in the winter, 62 to 65 in the fall and spring, and 65 to 68 in the summer. But you'd love to hang with my dad. He's an 80's kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that Ryan set. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete