Monday, July 15, 2024

Should be entertaining. ADDENDUM: Lessons learned Sad News.

 Whether you like ephemera, breweriana, tobacco, soda, advertising in general, sports fan, or simply a Braves fan tonight should not disappoint.  I spent a lot of time perusing Braves oddballs last week. Among the other things I tasked myself to do. I came upon this seller who had a ton of Braves stuff and turns out he lives in the city where two of my sisters (Jan and Joyce) live: Acworth, Ga. I reached out, and thus started a half dozen messages back and forth and ultimately we came to an arrangement on everything you'll see here tonight. I mentioned Friday that that post was basically a warm up for this post. Let's get the cat out of the bag. Everything here tonight are Atlanta Braves pocket schedules referred to in the hobby as SKEDS. I was able to get the run of mostly mint (half never folded) and flat skeds from 1966-2010. 1966 The first year the Braves played in ATL (not the reason why 66' in ATL is great, no that would be because I was born in ATL in 66'. The Falcons also started in ATL in 66', but my birth absolutely beats that out too :).  



The 66' never folded, the 67 has been but not to creasing.



Here you can see how the skeds change over the years and that is pretty cool all in and of itself. As far as I can tell the oldest baseball pocket sked out there is one from 1903 for the Yankees. 



What a great cartoon! I love it.






First ATL sked with Hank on the cover. I grew up listening to Ernie Johnson on the radio (along with Skip Carey). 




The 72' (with writing on it) is the first one that was previously folded and creased on those seams thus the sked is still okay other than the writing. This one was definitely used. Might as well get this out there now there are lots of variants with these things, but that's okay too.





Another Hank! The print is small but you can see the promo for poster nights.









Look at those ticket prices. It shows general admission was $2.00 (I actually remember paying $1.50 for the nose bleeds, and because the stadium was basically empty wind up watching the game in the from row down the left field line. Great memories.









Murph!





Looks like Murph again.









I believe Dale Murphy again.


The next batch of sked have moved from 3 panels to four.












Greg Maddux make his appearance.





Looks like Smoltz. World Series Champions!





Andruw Jones. 




Hank Aaron once more.





Okay the 2002 Chipper sked means I certainly need another one of those for the Bubble Gum binder. In case you're wondering why the bubble looks like Mickey Mouse, the Braves Spring Training back then was at Disney where I will be a few days.






2003-2008 the skeds changed again basically doubling up. 4 panel and bi-folded too.


























The next two (the last two) are back to the 4 panel, but with the schedule on the front side.


The backs definitely different. Okay that is the big get off Ebay last week. Just for general knowledge I did already have many Braves skeds, some are different than the ones above so that is cool.

1974, 82, 86-88, 90-98, 2000, 06. Those are all folded and in a binder along with a few minor league skeds. My dilemma right now is whether or not to fold these (I don't want too) so that they can be stored in a normal 9 pocket pages. I know the 1948 sked I posted Friday is bigger and will need to be in a larger plastic even if I folded that one (but I am NOT). I may have to seek out a 3 pocket page that is top to bottom the same for each of the pockets. I just don't know if those exist. Give me your thoughts. 

Update: Found the horizontal 3 pocket pages, won't work. Found 2 diff. sizes. 1 7 1/2" wide, the other 8 1/2. The 4 panel skeds are a full 9" wide. Now to find a 2 pocket vertical divide page. 


ADDENDUM:

I started writing the post above Friday night, worked on it Saturday and Sunday. Well, and right now Monday morning. The skeds you see above no longer exist in the condition scanned. Nope. Every morning I have 2 cups of coffee, sometimes 1 1/2. Well, this morning I only had 1 cup because for the first time in my life I spilled my coffee, the 2nd cup. Yep, you guessed it the skeds were still laying on the work table in my living room. The coffee got them, my cell phone, and laptop among other things. 

This is depressing, sad. I should have put them away days ago. Lesson learned! A lot of money down the drain. I'll mourn for a few days, but I'll pull up my boot straps and move on. Get back up. Make lemonade so to speak. Not all is lost though as I have attended to them the best that can be and will allow them to air dry for a day or two. I no longer need to find special pages to store them. No I will be folding them into their pocket state and will be placing them into the binder with 9 pocket pages. A problem that has resolved itself. In words that also rang clear this weekend. "Fight Fight Fight"

Moving forward. 

update (again): I have now folded them and placed them in the binders. I do need to get some more 6 pocket pages as 1966-1988 are a bit too tall for the standard 9-pocket, but for now it works. Also noting that the sked still look great.




12 comments:

  1. Pocket schedules are the best. I have a pretty good Angels collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need only 6 to have every year of the Atlanta Braves. I also have lots of variations.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to dry them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Sorry to hear about the coffee accident. Glad you can't notice it too much after you fold and put them into 9 pocket pages.

    I love collecting pocket schedules. Most of my collection contains Giants (SF and SJ) and A's schedules. Never thought to seek out some for my player collections until you showed off your Maddux. I wonder if Gwynn made the cover of any Padres ones... or if Rickey is featured on any A's or Yankees ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gwynn has a sked. I know Rickey has but not sure if it is an A's sked. They didn't stain, now I can say I have a personal memory with each of those, lol. There are a few more I want to get now that they are bindered, and then I will post again. Looks totally different now in the book. Looks good.

      Delete
  4. Coffee isn't usually mean, coffee usually assists! Sorry to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! That sucks! I've spilled more than my fair share of coffee, but not on any cards yet. Hope your phone and laptop are OK as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using the vertical 2-pocket pages for schedules. They're designed for #10 envelopes but work great for unfolded schedules.

    This is inspiring me to check out some older schedules though. I haven't actively collected them but I love adding them to the binder so I should probably seek out some from the years when they actually did nice artwork on the fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I never eat or drink around any kind of paper collectible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the coffee spill wasn't a total disaster. I'm trying to decide if I want to revive my collecting of Blue Jays skeds. You having sent me some last year certainly is contributing to that!

    ReplyDelete