Saturday, July 27, 2024

2024 Donruss: Not really disappointed.

 I am definitely getting posts stacked up. I have a couple of incoming blogger packages that I will be nipping in the bud this week. I also got an order this past weekend from Blowout Crads: non baseball, but should be fun RIPS. notice the "S" as in I grabbed a CASE of cheap Star Wars stuff (16 boxes) and 4 cereal boxes of 2010 Wacky Packages.  I also have another Ebay post to cover, as well as TWO posts from a ComC order that wasn't due to arrive until September, but came in this past Thursday. Speaking of Thursday, I went to Ormond to Kyles card shop (KnT). I'll have a bunch of posts (4 or 5) from that haul too not counting the one tonight. I will be requesting my Sport Lots inventory box real soon too. 


As my usual when going to KnT I hit up the dime boxes. There were 42 monster boxes which equates to roughly 120,000 cards. Mike (works there) tried to sell me all of them for $800.00 I said no way. He came back with another offer to sell them to me for $550.00. Again, I said no! Instead, I dug through all 42 boxes (it only took me 2 hours and fifteen minutes). That is SUPER FAST! They are sand bagging the newly released Topps Chrome. Maybe I'll hit them up again in a couple or three weeks. I did wind up pulling enough cards to fill 1 monster box. Including everything you see here tonight. With that said I paid roughly a penny a piece for the cards in that box. 80% were 2024 Donruss, 22' and 23' Chrome Platinum. 

As the post title states: I am not totally disappointed with the Donruss release this year. By now we are all adjusted for knowing that there aren't any "current players" on the checklists anymore. The design is good, sure the no logo thing will always be the main issue but the player selection and photo selection was still good and a huge plus NO VARIATIONS THIS YEAR. A 200 card set with 100 main cards and then 100 rated prospect cards (pretty much the same as Topps does these days). I'll let you guys make your own determination. As I pulled TWO near sets one missing 4 cards, and 1 missing 5 or 6 cards plus some extras and inserts too. 

Normally I wouldn't be posting this set until it was complete, however 4 cards short no biggie let's do this!




That is the only scan of the backs until the last scan (the rated prospects).

This set kind of gives me a late 90's Score feel, crisp and clean. Large print and I like that! The first half (100 cards) is really what I mean as the Rated Prospects gets a little I don't know..... too much I guess in that those remind me of I think 2021 or one of those recent sets.



























My first set build need is #125. A Braves player Waldrep (I have already ordered 1 to COMPLETE my team set.



THE 2ND MISSING CARD IS ONE OF THE BIG ONES (Elly was too but I got that one). Paul Skenes #131.




Missing #136 Crews.












The last missing one IS ALSO ONE OF THE BIG ONES. JACKSON HOLLIDAY #184.





Here you get a shot of the Prospect backs which are basically the same as the main card backs. Overall I still like the set, love the fact that there doesn't appear to be any of those crazy variations, and best of all I can READ the names and card numbers. I will cover the inserts from this set in one of the upcoming posts mid week.

Have a great night everyone!

 

6 comments:

  1. Didn’t even realize they were out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still don't see buying any of this (picking up my Dodgers in a group break). But some of the legends cards look decent. ... I also received a COMC order super quick. Was originally slated for late August -- showed up today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing these. I was curious if they'd erase the logos on Cool Papa Bell since MLB doesn't own that but it looks like they're not bothering to get logo clearance from anyone now. Also, my youngest will be happy that someone's still making Posey cards though the uniform he's wearing in that photo is absolutely wild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved Donruss for it's inserts. Not sure how I feel about this years, but I do need the Griffeys at least from it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - everyone in the first half is cropped at the waist. Every single one! The only time a leg peeks through is in a pitcher's kick. They make Topps photo selection look quite varied in comparison. Without the logos wide shots would look better anyway.

    I guess they can't even have Yankee pinstripes - I noticed they were gone on Phil Rizzuto's card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see the results of your Star Wars case. That sounds like a blast. Haven't sent out those SW Galaxy cards yet... but I will before I go back to school.

    ReplyDelete