Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Hall of Famers, Rookie cards, and a 1 of 1

 Last Friday I had this post in mind, but held out for that 1948 Boston Braves mint condition never folded (still isn't) it didn't get wet. That sked came in the mail on Friday as did that huge lot of Atlanta skeds. Now we are back to where I was. Lord knows this past weekend was one for the history books. My condolences and best wishes going forward to those families who suffered Saturday. 

With all of that off of my chest let's cover tonight's post. Most if not all of you know that I have a lot of trade boxes. There wasn't any kind of sorting involved in most of those monster boxes. Since I have been back home I have tried to go through most of them separating PC guys that I might need (doubtful), then inserts, parallels, higher end set cards, and boxing them in what I call my quarter boxes. Some make what I call the dollar boxes (there isn't many of those- maybe 3k so far). The rest get left in the boxes that I call my dime boxes. If I had the time which I don't I would actually sort the cards by sets and put in numerical order. Yeah, that's not happening although it would make it so much easier to trade. I've been doing a good job with the boxes I've bought since I've been home isolating bulk Topps series together. So the last 3 years worth (only been home 1 1/2 years) is pretty good. Hence those 158 trades that I just made over on OCT.

What has been overlooked for some time is the 5 or so monster boxes of PC dupes boxes. Well last week I went through one of them. Flipped through every card, pulling several hundred out to look up the prices, well Beckett prices (we all know how off those are). After that task was completed I pulled apx. 80 cards out for this post. I do plan on doing the same with the others as I get to them. No telling when that will be. Keep in mind that just because a guy is in my PC doesn't mean the cards are valuable.



Lourdes is not a PC guy. His brother was, but will be culled from those set aside and placed into the appropriate boxes in the future.  This card however gets special rules for making it into the box it was in.



2018 Topps Holiday Gold metallic....  One of One! Yeah this card doesn't go into the cheap boxes.




Here you go Mickey Mantle, Guidry rookies, Valenzuela RC, and Derek Jeter rookies. What is nuts is that I probably have all of these in each of the boxes that I still need to go through, probably all of the cards here tonight too.





Tribute here to Fred McGriff, notice the Leaf. Second year Ripken. As for Julio Franco, I have been a fan since he was with Atlanta (the first time), never stopped. So much respect for how long that guy played the game and played it well too. Pretty sure he is still coaching somewhere. As a player MLB, Milb, KOR, JAP, MEX, IND. I looked up stats:

MLB: 2,586 hits, 1,194 rbi's, 173 HR, and 281 SB.  Not bad in and of itself.

This next set of stats includes ALL of his player stats: 4,008 hits, 1,937 rbi's, 309 HR, and 457 SB. 





Now let's a current guys.



Just one more card.



Not a bad dupe....rather trip. Set build, PC, and now the Super Star dupe box. LOL.

It maybe awhile before I decide to pull out another of those boxes (a lot of shuffling around). We'll see after the Disney trip.


3 comments:

  1. Glad you found that 1/1. Hope you get some good stuff the next time you go through them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good thing that you're not me, otherwise you'd be inclined to start doing full pages for a couple of these, namely the Mantle and McGriff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rookie cards are the one constant interest of mine since I started collecting in 1981. Sure there were some years I was more interested in them than others... but they have always been fun to chase.

    Have fun at Disneyworld!

    ReplyDelete