Friday, October 20, 2017

1965 Topps trip cards

I didn't have a lot of 65's in my collection, so it was a no brainer that I needed all that was in the 2 boxes of vintage I picked up on that "trip that didn't go as planned".



Unfortunately there were only 18 65's. A few good names. And a story....





I guess Roy didn't rate a write up, lol.





Bouton: The other day I was watching back to back episodes of the Dick Cavett show on Decades. These 2 episodes had Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Leo Durocher, and umpire Tom Gorman. Apparently non of these fellows cared much for Bouton or his book Ball Four, just saying.  Anyways, I now need to add Tom Gorman to my famous names binder as there was a MLBer in the 50's as well, a coach in Portland, OR, a tennis player and this umpire. yeah, it qualifies.











Next up will be my birth year 1966.


7 comments:

  1. Some nice cards there. I'm a bit picky about which ones I watch but I'm enjoying seeing some of the old Cavett's. He had Ali and Frazier on one. Mantle and Ford were on together as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched quite a few of Dick Cavett's shows on YouTube over the years, it's a shame that so many of the episodes were taped over and are now lost for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great set. I'm still just a McLain away from completing it. I should check out some old Cavett shows on YouTube sometime. It's no surprise guys in the game were upset with the book when it came out.. really pulled down the curtain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cavetts' show plays weekdays on Decades channel. (regular tv)

      Delete
  4. I've gotta get a copy of that Tim McCarver card, hopefully with less damage than this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite set of the decade!

    ReplyDelete