Friday, January 17, 2014

Browsing my cards last night I discovered something, I think.

Last night I was thumbing through a few monster boxes, and I believe I have found a  HUGE variation in the 1992 Donruss set. I just checked and couldn't find it noted anywhere online, but then again I am not that "techy" so it may be out there.

Anyways, here is what after 22 years I have just noticed (I bought most of my 92 Donruss from Eckerds by the pack back in the day). Take a look at the player names (providing 2 examples of noteworthy players Frank Thomas and Ryne Sandberg). There is a light grey and a dark grey, very noticeable to the eye.



I can't believe that I hadn't noticed this before. Oh well, what's another variation. I guess I need to go back and check my Braves Donruss binder and my player collections to make sure I have or get both. Inexpensive set so no biggie. Hopefully this makes some readers aware of the variation and they can update their needs as well.

Meanwhile, for the rest of this month I am hosting a contest. It is a simple one with 3 prizes to choose from. I was going to wait to do this after I made the last Binder 1 post (which I will be putting up later tonight), but what the heck, just do it, right?

Here all you have to do is comment on any post I make (here and the Elway blog) starting with this post. Again, there will be 3 prizes, and I am not going to be randomizing anything. First place will get to choose which of the 3 prizes they want first, and then 2nd place and obviously third gets the remaining prize. What will determine the top three?

Each comment (1 per post unless I am reply back to a comment you left, then it is acceptable to comment again on that post) will receive 1 point per comment.

Content of each comment will receive between 1-10 points.

Tops three point leaders come 11:59 EST on January 31 wins.

Now here are the prizes. Three sets of three cards to choose from, well you know what I mean.


2004 Playoff with Carter, Doerr, and Mr Cub.


2001 Topps Gallery with Feller, Kaline, and Mr. Terrific


2000 Topps Gold Label Sean Casey Class 1, 2, and 3



11 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Contest time. The 2004 Playoff cards look pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many Reds in the Gold Label - plus I love Gold Label!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Casey "Gold" is funny, considering the arbitration/cat-pee story he told on Hot Stove this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of that, strictly a coincidence. I'll have to catch a link to that and listen to it.

      Delete
  4. My theory is that Donruss did some market research and asked its clients, "What's your favorite shade of gray? 75% said light and 25% said dark. 20 years later there are more than 50 shades of gray and just as many parallels in every Topps release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I'll have to check my '92 Donruss singles for variations now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started to reply to this comment, you were the only one mentioning the variation, but now another as cited it as well. Check those cards, I have and I now need a some that I had all DONE, or at least I thought I did. Man You gotta love this hobby, cuz I get to get more cards, get it.... LOL..

      Delete
  6. I'll have to check my Griffey cards from 92 Donruss to see if I have both variations or if I need to try to find one....thanks a lot! Just kidding! Great catch! Had to imagine it being overlooked for 20+ years, but I don't remember ever seeing anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I recall noticing that difference in Donruss, but really gave it no big deal. I wonder if anyone has a production run of the two styles.

    ReplyDelete